Friday, October 7, 2016

October 7 – “Technology terror”

I went through the tedious process of transferring photos from our phones and our camera onto the computer and external hard drive yesterday.  actually I was making sure I would have enough room to take pictures on mine.  I was just about down to the available nub.  My action video shots of Caleb’s at-bats on Monday night used up what space I had left.  My crafty use of deletion techniques, however, has now freed up several gigs, so I can once again photograph and video to my heart’s content.

Chris didn’t have much room left on her phone either.  She had less than I did, in fact.  Well, to be more exact, she had room for maybe one more picture.  Forget about videos.  Of course all I did with hers was make sure the photos were on the computer – you know, somewhere else besides her phone.  It’s up to her to decide what to delete now.  And she doesn’t like to delete anything.  The pictures are just so cute that she hates to not have them with her.  It’s her Grandmother’s Brag Book all in tiny jpeg format.  Imagine if we were still living in the last century.  She would have to carry around all those pictures in an album.  She’d have to have one of those roller suitcases.  Oh, and a projector to show the videos.  And of course some strong, handsome husband to tote it all around for her.  Sigh.  Makes me overly grateful for technology.

I got to thinking while doing all that transferring.  What would happen if we were to lose that external hard drive?  Or if it got corrupted somehow and we weren’t able to access the files?  Wow.  Talk about a crisis.  That thing is a chronicle of our life together.  I don’t think I would be able to remember anybody if I couldn’t look up what they looked like.  That’s why it was such a loss for me when Hurricane Ike destroyed all my high school yearbooks.  Now I see names that look vaguely (or even clearly) familiar, but I have no resource to quickly and easily match up a face.  I’m beginning to understand why Kel keeps insisting that we store everything in the cloud.  I still don’t completely understand that concept, though.  It seems like it just puts things one step further away.  I mean, what happens if one day the sun comes out and dries up the cloud?  Ah, well.  I guess if we lose all those pictures/memories, we’d just have to start making some more.  I always did like living for the future. 

2 Corinthians 8:9 says, “For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sake He became poor, so that you through His poverty might become rich.”


Father, thank you for the memories we do have pictures of.  It does help to be nostalgic at times.  Thanks as well for the future, whatever it may hold.  Bring it on, as long as you are a part of it.  Amen.

No comments: