Monday, October 3, 2016

October 3 – “The legacy I impart …”

So, Kel and Christina and all their kids were over the other day.  Noa had apparently had a fabulous nap, and she was absolutely “On.”  Christina quickly recognized the opportunity before us. 

She called out to the only little girl in the Kel Vaughan Family, “Noa, why don’t you tell us the Bible story from class the other day?”  Noa switched gears in an instant.  She cleared her throat and began telling a tale … loudly telling a tale.  All of a sudden she stopped.  Christina had asked another question.  Something along the lines of, "Are you preaching a sermon like DadDad?”  Noa pondered the implications of such an act.  All of a sudden she leapt into action. 

And what was that action, you may ask?  She was tucking in her shirt.  “I’m being DadDad, see?”  Well, there you go.  The identifying marker of my communication skills.  The legacy I have passed on to my granddaughter.  DadDad tucks his shirt in.  I nervously tugged at the tail of my t-shirt which was comfortably snug in its position … tucked in, of course.  But then I decided, hey, it took me a long time to get to the place where tucking in my shirt actually has a purpose.  Perhaps sadly, however, that purpose exists nowhere near the realm of fashion upgrades.  To put my reasoning as succinctly as possible … It helps hold up my pants.

2 Corinthians 5:18-19 says, “Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.”

Father, thank you for the observational skills being developed in that sweet youngster. 

Perhaps one day I’ll be able to expand on that perspective.  Amen.

No comments: