Saturday, October 15, 2016

October 15 – “Fall Festival Tonight”

Yesterday was a day of preparation.  Tonight is our first attempt at church to host a Fall Festival.  Not a Halloween thing at all.  That comes later.  This is just an evening of games and food and fun and music that we designed to be a gift to our community. 

My morning yesterday was spent making a Sam’s run to pick up the food and paper goods for the event.  Then in the afternoon I hunched myself over the dining table and made ten posters designed to point out parking.  We are blocking off the actual parking lot to use for foot traffic.  Lauren is also bringing in some yellow tape to rope off other areas.  Should be enough to  keep traffic flow manageable. 

Thursday I went with Lauren from church (she is the originator and head banana for this event, and has already done an unbelievable job) to LaMarque to pick up the Galveston Baptist Association block party trailer.  Inside are all sorts of treasures available for our use.  Things like: tables, miscellaneous outdoor games (not sure yet what those are.  We’ll see them when we open up the trailer later today), a generator, and most importantly for our cause … bouncy houses.  We’ll get that set up and add to it horseshoes and cornhole and pitching washers and pumpkin painting and dart throw at the giant pumpkin and ring toss around the 2-liter drinks and I have no idea what else.  We’ll have hot dogs and chili and frito pie, and you can even buy a good ol’ Seaside t-shirt.  Our worship pastor Jim has put together a band that will play.  The event promises to be a pretty fun one.  I want to play some horseshoes, and I have heard so much about this cornhole game that I want to get in on some of that action as well.  I was introduced to the style of pitching washers using those platforms with holes in them by the fire department guys.  That one I enjoyed as well. 

So, the event begins at 5 p.m.  Lauren wants to make sure everything is ready in plenty of time, though.  Set-up begins at 11 this morning.  Guess I’d better get a good breakfast in my system …

2 Corinthians 13:11 says, “Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.”


Father, please use this event as a time where you are glorified and people are introduced to you and your church.  Amen.

No comments: