Thursday, October 6, 2016

October 6 – “Neighbors Night Out”

Tuesday evening was Neighbors Night Out all over Galveston.  Gulf Village was scheduled to gather at 6:30 in the parking lot of the old Lutheran Church, our usual spot.  Chris had to go to the church for the ladies Bible study, so she left the house a little before six.  As she drove by she noticed something strange.  There was absolutely no sign of life in the parking lot.  Well, save an occasional construction worker or two.  They are in the process of converting the building into a retreat center, and their first retreat is scheduled to begin in two weeks, so they are on a bit of a time crunch.  Chris texted me to appraise me of the odd situation.  Thirty minutes before start time and no one on site.  I hoped the issue was more one of Island time rather than cancellation.  As it turned out, I was right.

I walked over right at 6:30 to see for myself, and when I turned the corner, there were six or eight tables set up and full of food.  Lawn chairs bedecked the parking lot, and of course most importantly of all, there were people.  Lots of people.  More than I remember ever before showing up at the event.  And it wasn’t just the old-timers.  Lots of the new neighbors were there as well.  I was struck by all the young couples we have moving in.  Great sign for a great neighborhood.  Several people even brought their dogs along.  Guess we’ll have to bring Freddy next year.  I’m sure she could hold her own with the monster-sized (to her) labs and other big dogs.  I noticed a battalion chief’s vehicle, so I scanned the crowd for uniforms and located Chief Rourke and Driver Cangelosi.  Of course I gravitated toward them and joined them for a bit of food.  They had several other places on their list to visit, so they told me they were leaving this one with me.  I argued that I wasn’t really dressed to represent, but they informed me I was wearing the hat, so I could handle it.

No sooner had they driven away than Fire Chief Wisko arrived with Mrs. Chief (Dana).  They were driving around making stops with the Mayor Pro Tem Terilyn (she’s our council woman) and her husband (I can’t remember their last name.  They are newlyweds).  They stayed for a while before moving on to other parts of the district.  Towards the end of the night our resident cop arrived.  Officer Millican (Wait.  He got a promotion, but I don’t know his new rank) lives just down the street from us.  His yard is the one that always has seasonal decorations.  Every holiday.  It is already touting Halloween, and the Christmas decorations are always a treat as well.  He told us that the decorations are a pet project of his wife.  She loves doing them every year.  I think he doesn’t mind either. 

We also were invited to tour the new facilities at the old Lutheran church.  Actually hey haven’t finished yet, but they have done a very nice job.  They put in a “semi-industrial kitchen” (Whatever that means.  I think it just refers to the heavy duty stove and big old fridge and freezer.  Oh, and everything is stainless steel.  Looks very industrial).  It sleeps “up to 48 guests in 8 bedrooms.”  I think that would be really pushing it.  The rooms are kind of small, and they plan to have two double beds and two single beds in each one.  The single beds will somehow be suspended on the walls.  That part wasn’t ready yet.  I’ll have to go back when that all is done.  I did talk with the director for a while.  I told him if we ever had a conflict at Seaside, that we would recommend their facility.  He was happy to hear it.  Hopefully we can be working together on that front.  There are certainly plenty of groups to go around. 

2 Corinthians 6:1-2 says, “And working together with Him, we also urge you not to receive the grace of God in vain — for He says, ‘At the acceptable time I listened to you, and on the day of salvation I helped you.’  Behold, now is ‘The Acceptable Time,’ behold, now is ‘The Day of Salvation.’”


Father, thank you for the neighbors we have.  Thank you for the fire fighters and police officers who are tasked with protecting us.  Keep them safe.  And help that new retreat center to experience some success.  Amen.

No comments: