Friday, October 28, 2016

October 28 – “The bonfire of all bonfires”

Ukulele class went well again yesterday.  We learned that our “Recital Concert” will be on November 10th at 11:15.  That gives us an hour for a so-called “dress rehearsal” before friends and family start streaming in and filling up the remaining seats.  Yeah, I agree.  That’s probably just a tad over-expectant.  Nevertheless, we are pretty amazing.  I mean, for a bunch of old coots who have little to no experience ever touching a ukulele before.  I guess it could be a performance to remember … one for the aged.  Oops, I mean one for the ages.

I’m getting ready to head over to Grace Episcopal Church for the monthly Cops and Clergy breakfast.  It’s always fun to go back to my roots.  Grace is where I grew up going to church.  Which was pretty convenient, seeing that we lived across the street.  We have old home movies of us as little kids running over for church.  I have also seen pictures of hundreds of people standing at the front doors.  And speaking of pictures, the last time I was there I saw a picture of Mom and Dad’s wedding hanging in their hallway.  We go way back. 

I don’t remember much about our time there.  I do remember the massive bonfires we used to build in the street in front of the church.  That happened on one of the church calendar holidays sometime after Christmas.  Not sure which one.  Apparently the church had permission from the city for everyone to bring their old Christmas trees and toss them on the pile.  It made for a huge flame.  The bonfire of all bonfires.  I think that’s probably where I first learned the term, “Festival of Light.”  It has certainly been my standard for every reference to Christmas lights or bonfires since then.  Of course in my current role as fire department chaplain, I would never call for a return to such a dangerous practice.  Unless, of course a few fire engines and fire fighters could pick up some overtime being there on fire watch.  Then that would change everything.  I’m pretty sure I would be there.  In an “official” role, of course.  Have to support those fine fire fighters as they carry out their duties, you know …

Galatians 5:14 says, “The entire law is summed up in a single command: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”


Father, thank you for wacky fun times with ukulele playing and for pleasant memories.  Amen.

No comments: