Wednesday, October 5, 2016

October 5 – “Fencing, fire trucks and fending off meteors”

My allergies hit me really hard in Waco.  Well, and Josh’s got him, too.  Christi insisted that she was having trouble as well, but she hid it well.  Josh and I were sneezing and hacking and blowing noses and drying watery eyes the whole time.  We could have been a great “Before” on a TV commercial.  I took Claritin-D in the morning and Benadryl at night.  His weapon of choice was Zyrtec.  Ah, Fall.  What a terribly great season.  (Read that last sentence any way you choose.  “Terribly great” as in really good or “terribly great” as in greatly terrible).

I took a fencing lesson with Zak and Caleb using pool noodle light sabres.  I have to say that I was truly outmatched from the beginning.  I did manage to at least sound good, though.  I taught them the word epee (French for the sword used in fencing).  Now they will know one answer if they ever do crossword puzzles (hey, that’s where I learned it.  It will come up eventually.  Always does.  Where else can you get three “e’s” all at once?).  I doubt it will come up in casual conversation, though.

Luke and I made a fire truck pallet.  We arranged all the pillows we could find in a roughly rectangle shape, and it became the truck.  We plopped down on top of the “seat” pillows.  He wore his plastic fire helmet, and we put out imaginary flames using toy light sabres as the hose nozzles.  We were quite the pair of heroes.

Once the fire was out, he switched us over to space men.  He found a cloth space helmet from an old Halloween costume they had.  That one I had to wear.  Chris was even assigned a top piece.  She got the cowboy hat.  (OK, cowGIRL hat).  Of course we had to rearrange the pillows.  This time they ended up in a triangle shape.  We climbed aboard and made the blast-off from earth.  Problem was there just wasn’t that much to do in outer space other than fend off a few errant meteors, so he got bored rather quickly.  Caleb suggested a space walk when he got on board a little later.  I’m still not sure how he managed to get into our space craft, though.  Was he from earth, or perhaps he was an alien in disguise?  We never found out for sure.  Luke chased him from the craft with a light sabre, though.  And I guess the two of them floated around in space for eternity.  I did my best to land the space ship.  It was a little rough on re-entry to the real world, but sadly, I made it just fine.

2 Corinthians 5:21 says, “He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”


Father, thank you for medications that battle histamines and imaginations that take on everything else.  Amen.

No comments: