Saturday, October 29, 2016

October 29 - “On people awesomeness”

I went to the Cops and Clergy breakfast again yesterday.  I’m beginning to anticipate that experience once a month.  This time I sat at a table with a police officer, a police chaplain who is also a local rabbi, a new pastor from a Presbyterian Church, and another police chaplain from the Methodist Church.  The new pastor seemed fascinated by what was happening around her and had all sorts of questions.  The rabbi thought the event had been taking place for about a year.  The police officer said it had been much longer than that, but the earlier version had been rather sporadic.  She really wanted to know if the group ever took any specific action on things like human trafficking and other social issues.  Since my understanding of the group’s purpose was simply to put police officers and clergy together in a social atmosphere with no other agenda, political or otherwise, I was interested to hear the response as well.  The officer handled it quite well.  He explained that the group meets at a different church site every month.  At the meeting if that church, or any other represented wanted to highlight a ministry they were involved in, it was perfectly fine, in fact encouraged, as a matter of information sharing.  That seemed to satisfy her curiosity, so we moved on to talking about things like upcoming Citizens’ Police Academy classes (The officer was on the dive team) and the Night Watch Cops and Clergy breakfasts that have started.  They meet once a month as well, only at 5 a.m. when the night watch is going off shift.  My favorite new contact this month, however, was one guy who was dressed in a polo shirt and jeans and kept kind of to himself.  I managed to introduce myself to him at one point, but all he told me was his name.  At our general announcement time, though, we were each asked to share who we were and what our role was.  In his quiet, unassuming way (He never even stood up), he said his name, then added, “I’m with Homeland Security.”  Wow.  A Fed in our midst.  I so wanted to ask him if he knew Cabe Gallow.  (Nerd Alert:  Cabe Gallow is a character on the new TV series, Scorpion.  We have been watching it since the beginning).

I got home in time to accompany Chris to WalMart for our monthly BIG grocery shopping trip (Read here, “Ouch”).  This is the time when we get things like the canned goods you can buy four at a time for about a quarter cheaper (Not one fourth off, mind you.  I mean literally a quarter, as in twenty five cents.  But hey, it all adds up.  Not as fast as the rest of the bill, but we’ll take every penny we can get).  We stopped and talked briefly to one of the local pastors.  About the only time we see her is in WalMart. She agreed that WalMart is the place to go to do some people watching.  Our favorite watchee yesterday?  Probably the fellow with the really thick backwoods accent.  Sounded like he would be a lot of fun to spend some time with.  We didn’t stalk him, though (Confession … I probably would have altered my basket course a bit if I had been alone, just to listen to him talk some more.  Makes me feel like I’m not the only strange one walking around.   People are absolutely awesome). 

Galatians 5:16 says, “So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.”


Father, thank you for the awesome, weird, funny, beautiful people you create.  And thanks for the venue where we can come into contact with each other.  Amen.

No comments: