Monday, October 24, 2016

October 24 – “lunch break beach baptism”

Well, that was perhaps the most memorable baptism I have led in a long, long time.  Yet it was so fitting for Seaside.  The service started out pretty much as usual.  Singing.  Teaching.  Praise and worship.  But all throughout the experience there was no sign of the one to be baptized.  His wife was there, but not him.  We reached the part of the service where we usually dismiss from the building and head down to the beach.  Still not there.  So what was going on?  How could we announce a baptism with no baptismal candidate?

Well, here’s the thing.  Ed is the Park Ranger for Galveston State Park, which is right next to the church.  He works just about every Sunday of the year, so we only get to see him at special events or church workdays (where he is a beast, I might add).  But for this particular Sunday special occasion he had made some extra-special arrangements.  Ed and his staff from the park went on their lunch break together … and met us at the beach.  A lunch break beach baptism in true Seaside style. 

About 30 or so folks who had been in church gathered along with Ranger Ed and his staff, as well as numerous people who thought they were just out for a relaxing morning at the beach.  We huddled up and prayed together before Ed and I started out into the water.  Now, my usual approach in baptisms is to have the candidate hold his nose, and I grasp his arm with one hand and place my other hand behind his neck.  I had to alter my approach with Ed, though.  You see, I haven’t yet mentioned one other tiny little fact.  He was wearing goggles and a snorkel.  Yep.  Quite the picture.  And we did take pictures, I assure you. 

After the baptism we walked back to shore and everyone gathered again for prayer and the singing of our traditional “Family of God” chorus before scattering back to our Sunday afternoon activities.  Oh, and remember those folks I mentioned who were just relaxing on the beach?  I stopped on our way back to the church and apologized for obstructing their view for a few moments.  They assured me that they didn’t mind at all.  In fact one lady told me, “I gotta say, I have seen some baptisms before, but none like this.  Not ever.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.” 

Galatians 4:6-7 says, “Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, ‘Abba, Father.’  So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.”


Father, thank you for your son, Ed.  Surround him with you love like the water surrounded him in his baptism.  Amen.

No comments: