Wednesday, August 31, 2016

August 31 – “A foot and a half”

Yesterday I mowed the grass while Chris did quilting.  That was after she made a trip to the quilt shop.  She is finishing up a quilt she has been working on for some time and was putting the finishing touches on it.  She even asked for my opinion.  She had added an extra strip of material on two of the sides, and she wondered what I thought about adding that same strip on the other two sides.  I studied it for a moment or two, and responded that I thought it would look great as long as she was OK with adding another foot and a half.  She stopped me, ever so sweetly, and said, “Oh no, it’s not.  It’s only 18 inches.”  (Think about it).  I love my wife … and her indomitable math skills.  We laughed pretty hard about that one as I spent the rest of the afternoon dodging her elbow jabs. 

Sears was an hour late to fix our ice machine.  When he finally arrived I guess he was tired.  He sprawled out on the floor and waited for the machine to come on.  I thought he had fallen asleep at one point.  Finally he decided it needs a new compressor.  And a new evaporator.  He handed me a repair estimate.  Almost twelve hundred dollars.  And on top of that, the repair and new parts would only be warranted for 90 days.  If we add just a few hundred more dollars to that we could get a brand new machine with a five years warranty.  Guess we’ll have to wait on that one.  Just don’t have an extra $1500 floating around right now. 

Cailyn came over for a sort of surprise visit.  Her Dad was on shift and her Mom was called in to work overtime.  That meant we picked her up after school and she hung out with us until 7:30 or so when her Mom got off work.  She was really wound up (That would be Cailyn, not her Mom).  One would think she had been sitting at a desk all day …

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 says, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”


Father, thank you for precise measurements and incalculable love.  Amen.

No comments: