Friday, August 26, 2016

August 26 – “Looking for excitement…”

I suppose I should be quite grateful as I glance back through the last few days of blog posts.  They really have been quite boring, haven’t they?  Medical issues.  Babysitting tales.  Walking woes.  Ho hum.  I understand.  I’ll try to start doing some more exciting things … well, things that don’t require running. 

Yesterday began with staff meeting.  Neither of us had anything earth-shattering to discuss, but our prayer time together has already become really important to me.  Jim did want a breakdown of my take on the whole hurricane entering the Gulf scenario.  When should he leave?  What should he take?  The typical questions.  I told him he was always invited to come over to our house behind the seawall for the smaller tropical storms.  Oh, and he had never heard the suggestion to take along a recent utility bill to prove you really do have property on the island when you try to get back after a big storm.  He did know about the insurance policies and the like.  Why was it an issue?  Well, for those of you Inlanders, there is a potential for a storm entering the Gulf soon.  We have our eyes on the tropics here in Galveston.  Mid-August through early October are really our biggest threat times.  In fact, Chris just showed me the latest view of the Gulf.  Another wave of low pressure has developed just off the Texas coast.  That would explain all the rain we’re having right now.  It could also provide the excitement I was mentioning earlier.  Not exactly the kind I was wanting …

After that meeting I stopped by to check on one of the widows there in Jamaica Beach.  Someone who used to know her and now lives in Pennsylvania had called the church and was worried about her health and safety.  She was doing OK, though.  She is having some problems, but her son lives nearby, so she is being watched over by family.  When her Pennsylvania friend calls back, I’ll let him know.

On my way back to the house I noticed a fire call had come in right on one of the streets I had to pass.  Sure enough, the truck was parked on the road, so I pulled in behind it to say hello to the guys.  They were finishing up the call for a small electrical fire inside a wall.  I talked with the guys who were already back in the truck.  Mainly about families and new station assignments.  One’s wife is pregnant and due to deliver in November.  Another has a four-footed baby he cares for.  Another was excited to start on his new station assignment.  They asked about Chris and Nathan.  This is the part of the job I really enjoy – just getting to know these guys and getting a glimpse of their lives away from the job.  Helps me know how to pray for them.  And who doesn’t think hanging out in a fire truck is pretty cool, too?

1 Corinthians 12:7 says, “Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.”


Father, watch over those firefighters as the carry out their tasks and as they live out their lives at home.  Take care of their families while they are on shift.  Amen.

No comments: