Sunday, August 14, 2016

August 14 – “A new day.”

I received a text of congratulations the other day from my older brother.  No, it wasn’t for my birthday.  This one was to wish me “Happy Middle Child Day.”  My response?  Here it is as I typed it: “Wait.  Is that a real thing?  I’m touched.  I’m emotional right now.  I’m … overly dramatic.  I guess that’s why middle kids never get any attention, huh?  LOL.  Thanks, Big Bro.”  Middle kids of the world … Unite.

We got a call from Josh yesterday.  Seems Luke had his first big mishap.  He fell off of a bench and smacked the back of his head.  It required several of those staples they put in nowadays, and he has a bruise back there, but other than that he seems none the worse for wear.  Even got cleared to go into the swimming pool in a day or two.  Vaughan boys are tough dudes.  Vaughan girls, too.

Speaking of prayer requests, I got a text from some friends that the wife stepped on a sewing needle while doing some Zumba and the  needle broke off, becoming embedded in her toe.  She will require surgery to get it out.  Problem there is, the hospital is requiring them to pay their full deductible before they will schedule it.  Right now that deductible is $2500.  Their insurance changes on September 1st, and the deductible will only be $1500 then.  They are going to try to wait it out until then.  Thing is, either amount is tough on a young family of teachers. 

I went to the meeting of the retired fire fighters association today.  They have invited me a few times, and this was the first time I could make it work.  Great group of guys and their wives.  I met the foreign exchange student from Czechoslovakia who is staying with one of the families.  Very sweet young girl.  Very shy young girl.  She knew enough to order her pizza, though.  We were at Mario’s on 61st Street.  She had Hawaiian style.  All I could see was pineapples.  Just didn’t seem like a pizza to me.  Pineapples?  I had manicotti.

I almost took a tumble when I went to the bank.  It was just to make a quick deposit, but when I was walking down the stairs to go back to the truck, my left knee just gave way.  I managed to catch myself, but in the process my right knee barked its resentment at that weird and quick motion.  I had to just lean up against a wall for a while until the pain settled down.  When I started walking again, I noticed an old guy sitting in a truck watching me.  I looked at him, smiled what I’m certain was a weak smile, and mouthed, “Ouch.”  He started laughing as he nodded his head and mouthed back, “yes, sir.”  I guess he’d been there.  When I told Chris about it, she wanted to see if there was swelling in both knees.  There was.  What fun.  I’m sure it’s not as bad this morning.  After all, it’s a new day.  A good day.

1 Corinthians 8:9 says, “Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak.”


Father, thank you for the group of retired fire fighters I got to meet today.  Be with them as they are still adjusting to all the changes that come with retirement.  Amen.

No comments: