Sunday, August 28, 2016

August 28 – “Three Hats”

There were three distinctly different segments of my day yesterday.  Talk about wearing three different hats.  Husband.  Pastor.  Granddad. 

The Husband Hat came first.  Chris asked if I wanted to go to a winding-down estate sale.  Everything was 75% off and they were opening the garage stuff up for the first time.  Well, this was the home of that lady that Chris knew from Wednesday Club, so I knew she really wanted to go.  And estate sales and garage sales are always lots of fun, as long as you’re not looking for anything in particular.  So off we went.  And as we expected, there was really not much left.  We did come away with some minor treasures, though.  Chris picked up a couple of baskets and an old brass bell.  The bell needs to be cleaned up and shined up, but that in itself will be fun.  I even got into the act this time.  I picked up a little wooden hand-carved dog.  Very whimsical.  Maybe I can copy it someday. 

Later on, in the afternoon, I received a text from a Seasider asking if I would touch base with a family in the church neighborhood.  The lady is in the last stages of leukemia, and they were wanting to talk to a pastor.  I put that hat on and drove over to their house meet with them.  Very nice couple.  And in their time of grief, extremely open to the gospel.  All four of them prayed to receive Jesus, so they were happy to have assurance of their future spiritually.  I led a short time of prayer and dedication after that, and anointed her with a bit of oil as we prayed for her.  I pray that God will continue to give them peace as they walk through a really tough time.

And then last night we had Cailyn over to spend the night.  It’s been a while since she has stayed with us, so it was really good to hang out with her.  She and I were in the bed last night after family worship and reading a story or two.  She was trying to wind down and get to sleep when she asked, “DadDad, will you tell me a story of what it was like when you were a little boy?”  Before I could begin she added, “Tell me what games you played.”  Wow.  What games did we play WAY BACK then?  I managed to come up with such classics as “First One Under” and “Hope I Don’t Meet the Ghost Tonight” and “Hide and Seek.”  The one that grabbed her attention, though, was “Kick the Can.”  I think she may want some more info on the rules to that one.  She wanted to know who my friends were back then and what were their names.  Were there any girls?  What trips did you take?  Obviously, it was all a ploy to stay awake, but after all, she was at Nani and DadDad’s house.  She didn’t last too long, though.  My monotone answers and occasional yawns were enough to “help” her drop off. 

1 Corinthians 13:1 says, “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.”


Father, thank you for Chris.  She inspires me.  Thank you for opportunities to represent you.  They humble me.  Thank you for Cailyn.  She amazes me.  Amen.

No comments: