Tuesday, August 2, 2016

August 2 – “On choosing advice well”

We got to see my cousin who lives in Maryland yesterday.  She and her family are in town for a few days visiting other family and going to the beach.  They are on a college visiting tour for their son.  His favorite Texas school has been Texas A&M, but he hasn’t decided yet. 

They mentioned having had brunch at IHOP, so I casually inquired, “What does the beach look like?”  I was trying to get some information about how rough it was to see if I wanted to go fishing.  He assured me that it was really calm, “enough that you could wade out to the second or third sand bar.”  Now I should have known something was awry at that point.  I guess in my desire for conditions to be just right that I just forgot they have not lived anywhere near the Gulf for many, many years.  After all, where I usually go fishing, you have to walk on sand to get to about where the second sand bar used to be.  But come on.  How could I resist?  I went fishing.  Well, after they left, of course.

It was, once again, really rough.  The tourists didn’t even stay in the water for very long at a time, and the current was really strong as well, so it’s probably best that they didn’t.  Now, I did catch one good-sized spec.  Two others hit the line hard, but never got hooked.  Other than those, though, I didn’t even feed the little ones.  Just nothing.  I certainly did get beat up by the waves, though.  Great workout.  At least that’s what I’m telling myself. 

Remind me not to take advice on Gulf of Mexico conditions from a Marylander.   Well, OK.  I have to confess.  It’s not his fault.  I looked at the Beachcams before I left the house, and I didn’t have to stop where I did.  I could have gone out west and fished in the Bay.  Ultimately, it all boils down to a choice you make …

1 Corinthians 2:12 says, “We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.”


Father, thank you for the chance to hang out with Kristen and Clay and their kids for a while.  Keep them safe on their journey back to Maryland.  Amen.

No comments: