Tuesday, August 23, 2016

August 23 – “creative additions”

Sunday evening we played grandparents again.  Kel and Christina needed a babysitter so they could go see that new Hit Patrol or Death Team or - no wait … it’s Suicide Squad, I think - movie.  Something about the bad guys being good guys so they can stay out of prison?  Obviously I haven’t seen it yet.  Honestly, I watched the Astros game most of the time they were here.  It was Sunday afternoon, after all.  I’m never worth much energy-wise on Sunday afternoon.  When the game ended I joined everyone outside for a while.  The kiddos were riding bikes and scooters and those big wheels and even our antique horsie that you push levers up and down with your feet to get it to move.  Of course they had made some “minor adjustments” to the boring old “ride your bike” thing.  The one that seemed to be the favorite was the “chunk the wiffle ball as hard as you can and see if you can hit the guy riding by on the bike or scooter” modification.  Sigh.  I remember that one with fondness.  Except we didn’t always use a wiffle ball.  I better not get into many more details than that.

Just as we were winding down the outside competitions, Mom and Dad showed up from their movie.  They loaded up the troops and headed back into Texas, and we turned on the tape of the Olympics we had made.  And by the time Brazil kicked in the penalty goal for the 83rd time, my allergies were off the charts.  I’m not sure what it was that blew in, other than the usual Fall stuff that destroys me until December or January can chill out the air enough to get rid of the ragweed.  Whatever it was, we didn’t get along.  At all.  And it was back again last night.  All I did this time was go outside to get the mail.  Less than an hour later, my eyes were watering and I was sneezing.  It always gets much worse at night.  Some days I can just take a Benadryl at bedtime and get some rest.  Other times it takes a while for that glorious conditioned air to get the pollen out of the inside.  Last night would prove to be one of the latter.  I think I finally managed to doze off around one.  On the plus side, though, I do get done a lot of crossword puzzles.  That should help my aging “senior intellect,” right?

Sunday evening we played grandparents again.  Oh, wait.  I already said that.  Guess the puzzles didn’t help that much after all …

1 Corinthians 10:32 says, “Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God.”


Father, thanks for creative additions to classic outdoor games.  Thanks as well for protecting angels during said “additions.”  Amen.  

No comments: