Tuesday, March 1, 2016

March 1 – “We”

We took Freddy in to get spayed yesterday.  I still chuckle every time I hear that word.  When I was in college there was a fellow who had a tendency to miss class on occasion.  He always had, well, interesting excuses for his absences.  My all-time favorite was the time the professor asked him where he had been the last class meeting (the professor enjoyed the excuses as well).  The student sat up tall in his chair, and in the thick southern drawl that was his natural way of communicating, he replied, “Well, I had my wife spaded the other day …”  He said some other stuff as well, but no one in the class made it past “spaded.” 

So, back to Freddy.  The tech who checked us in was a very sweet young girl.  She obviously knew her stuff and was quite good at her job.  There was just one thing.  She was a “we” person.  You know.  Every question she was asking about Freddy was addressed to “we.”  So I started answering them. 

Tech: “Are we on any medications?”
Me: “I am.”  (She was kind of taken aback, but continued on)
Tech: “Do we have any underlying health issues?” (She directed this question completely to Chris, doing her best to ignore me)
Me: “I have rheumatoid arthritis.”

At this point Chris gave me a well-directed, spiritual elbow in the gut (she didn’t actually hit me, but the look did the job … probably better than her elbow would have) and said to cut it out.  But the damage was done.  The tech did her dead-level best to NOT say “we” for the rest of the check-in. 

As far as Freddy is concerned, she came through the surgery with flying colors.  They also removed the tooth that was cracked when someone hit her with a car.  Now we are supposed to keep a hyper-active crazy dog calm and quiet for the next three or four days.  Lots of luck with that. 

Revelation 1:4 says, “Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come.”


Father, thank you for the good report on our little one’s surgery.  Help her heal quickly.  Amen.

No comments: