Sunday, March 20, 2016

March 20 – “Waves”

Waves.  It’s a great word for imagery.  Especially for those of us living on a small barrier island off the coast of Texas.  People use the word all the time.  Waves.  Waves crashing onto the shore at the beach.  Waves of thunderstorms bearing down upon us as the leading edge of a hurricane or a cold front.  Waves of happy, laughing guests leaving after the successful party.  And there it is. 

See, that last second, desperation half-court shot that led to a Texas exit from the NCAA tournament was, unbeknownst to me, a harbinger of how my sleep would go the rest of the night.  One of our neighbors had a party.  No problem there.  Maybe they were watching the basketball games just like I was.  Maybe it was just poker night.  I don’t know for sure why they gathered, but one thing I am sure of … the party was fun and everyone had a great time. 

Now, how would I know that?  Well, I didn’t suddenly become psychic.  That’s just silly.  And, no, I didn’t sneak down there and clandestinely observe the goings-on from behind a bush.  That would be just weird.  And illegal.  I did know there was a party going on.  The sudden influx of cars parked in every possible spot of the street attested to that fact.  But I didn’t even know which house was hosting the party until it was over. 

So how did I figure it out then?  Simple.  Because every time guests left and returned to their cars, I could hear them.  Oh they all were really nice to say “Thank you” and “I had a great time” to their host, who walked each of them to their car.  OK, by this time I was sneaking a peak through our window.  But they were loud.  Very loud.  Again, even that would be OK with me.  But they left in waves.  The first batch departed for home around midnight, I guess.  And just as I settled back in to the rhythmic breathing of sleep, the next group left – at exactly 2:50.  A.M.  And there was one other exodus, as well, but I didn’t feel up to checking the clock that time.  It would have necessitated rolling over.  That wasn’t scheduled until later.  Much later …

Revelation 7:16-17 says, “Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst.  The sun will not beat upon them, nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water.  And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”


Father, thank you for our neighbors.  They are really good folks.  Thank you for blessing them with so many friends.  Amen.

No comments: