Friday, March 25, 2016

March 25 – “Print Fiasco”

Wow.  This is one of those occasions when I wish I could portray in person what I went through yesterday at good ol’ Office Depot here in Galveston.  Now before I begin I want to hasten to say that they have done really good work for us in the past, and I expect greater things from them in the future.  That being said …

Early Wednesday morning I took in the master mock-up of our Easter sunrise service handout booklet.  It has the order of worship and the words to the songs.  I worked really hard to get the pages just right and ran a full copy of the booklet just as we wanted it printed so they could follow along.  I even made a digital copy to make it easier for them to transfer it to their printer.  Not exactly rocket science if I can do that much, is it?  All I asked for was 400 copies on the proper pages, folded and stapled.  The girl who waited on me told me she would even check online and find me some discounts to bring the price down.  She said to come back in at 5 p.m. on Thursday and she would have them ready for pick up. 

Thursday morning I got a call from them asking if someone would be coming by to pay.  I told them the arrangement, so they skeptically accepted my statement and hung up.  Later in the day I got another day from them  This time they said my order was all printed and all they had to do was cut them.  She said that twice, “cut them.”  After the second time I stopped her and asked what it was she was cutting.  “Your 4 X 6 index cards.”  Yep.  Not my order.  She apologized profusely and quickly hung up. 

As 5:00 came around I hurried over to see what sort of magic had been worked on our booklets.  Sur enough, as I approached the desk, I saw the familiar cover strewn about.  OK.  They were obviously not ready yet.  I got in closer and to my surprise, and horror, the booklets that had been “completed” were totally unusable.  First off, they were stapled haphazardly from front to back instead of in the center at the fold.  And when they were opened the formatting had been drastically changed.  Fonts were different sizes.  Page numbers were located in the center of the page.  The entire print of the front page wasn’t even on the front page.  There was no way anyone could have looked at that mess and assumed it was what the customer wanted.  But my salesgirl did.  I asked to see the booklet master I had provided, and I showed it to her again.  She replied, “But the digital file you gave me came out like this,” gesturing to the pile of paper on the counter. 

It didn’t take long for the manager to come over to try to smooth things out.  I guess he heard me the third or fourth time I said that what had been done was totally useless to me.  He gently pushed her aside when she tried to blame me.  Now he understood immediately what the problem was and set out to fix it.  He entered the digital file and did some simple reformatting there on the spot.  Wouldn’t let me leave until what he printed out matched my master booklet and was approved by my own eyes.  Once that was done I requested that the stapling be done properly as well.  He assured me he would see that it was taken care of, but I’m still a little uneasy about that one.  Now the booklets are scheduled to be ready Saturday morning.  They will be seeing me not long after their 8 a.m. opening time.  And the thing is, I still haven’t paid for them, so I have no idea how much all of this will cost the church.  Ah, well.  Must mean God has something special planned for this sunrise service if Satan is so intent on messing it up.  We’ll see …

Revelation 19:1 says, “After this I heard what sounded like the roar of a great multitude in heaven shouting: ‘Hallelujah!  Salvation and glory and power belong to our God’”


Father, will you add the folks over at Office Depot to your watch list?  Give them wisdom and common sense as they work on our order, and give them peace in their own lives as well.  Amen.

No comments: