Tuesday, April 9, 2013

April 9 – “Getting through a Monday”


On Mondays I usually have a pretty long laundry list of things that have to get done.  Church website.  Church FaceBook page.  Birthday cards for the week.  Pay bills.  Type up notes from any meetings that happened over the weekend.  Get started on next week’s sermon and Bible Studies.  I have never understood why I make Monday such a full work day, since I am generally emotionally drained after Sunday. 

Yesterday proved to be a bit of a deviation from the norm.  I did wade right in when I got up, and I did get a lot of the usual stuff done, but it soon became apparent that a full day at the computer was just not happening.  After Chris got up, she let me know that we really needed groceries.  We were rapidly approaching “out of everything” status.  She put together a list and brought it to me.  Since I was in “Organized” mode, I whipped open a new file on the computer and typed up the list, organizing it by which items come up as I walk down the aisles at WalMart.  Back in the day when Chris and I went grocery shopping together, organization didn’t matter much.  We went down each aisle slowly, because we were usually talking about the day or the days to come.  We rarely missed anything we needed.  Going by myself since we can’t leave Mom alone has caused me to revert back into hunter mode, though.  Now I want to know what I am after and where it is so I can have a successful hunt and spend whatever lag time I may have watching people.  List accomplished, it still took me an hour or so to get everything. 

After a quick lunch we then attacked the back yard.  Chris had a variety of projects going there and needed some help finishing them up.  We hung a hanging basket.  Well, we did get it up finally, after breaking a drill bit trying to put it one spot, we moved it to a place that was easier to drill.  I know.  That’s a strange way to solve the problem, but Chris moved some stuff around and repotted some plants and made it look really nice.  We threw away an old hose and a sprinkler that didn’t sprinkle.  I swept the cover of the hot tub that hasn’t been hot since Hurricane Ike.  Jury’s still out on whether we ever will get it fixed.  We re-tied some rope we have hanging for the kids to climb on.  Now there is not as much stress on the deck’s decorative pieces.  I even figured out a way to hang the old hobby horse.  Its frame rusted away after the hurricane, so I ran some rope through it and attached it to the swing hooks.  Now we have to wait until Cailyn or Josiah or Caleb gets here to see if it will actually work.  I know the rope is not strong enough to hold anyone who weighs more than they do.

When we finished out back we just sat at the table out there and talked for a while.  It was very nice.  At least until Chris started to get cold.  That sweet sea breeze felt great.  Maybe I should do this on Mondays more often.

Psalms 84:12 says, “O Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you.”

Fatehr, I want to be that man.  I trust you.  Amen.

No comments: