Sunday, April 7, 2013

April 7 – “A real date”

A very strange thing happened yesterday.  Chris and I went on a date.  At least I think that’s what it was.  It has been a really long time, so I’m not completely certain.  My brother emailed me with an offer.  He had two tickets to the Astros baseball game, and he wasn’t able to go.  Wanted to know if I could use them.  Now how could I refuse that?  Baseball.  Astros (even if they are in the American League now).  And I couldn’t let his tickets go to waste.  So being the good brother that I am, I accepted.  Nathan and April (and Cailyn, of course) agreed to come over and spend the evening with Mom.  And so we were all set.  We left the Island together.  Just the two of us.  Going to an Astros game.  How reminiscent of the night we got engaged so many years ago.

We did hit some traffic on the way, but neither of us felt any real sense of urgency that we just had to get to the game on time.  It wasn’t about the game.  It was just a chance to get away for a few hours.  The traffic thinned out fairly quickly, and we even found a parking area within two blocks of the stadium.  There are certain perks to having a terrible team.  Not having many loyal fans is one of them. 

As we stepped on the escalator to begin our search for our seats, we heard someone cry out for our attention.  Turning around, we saw a friend from church who recently moved.  Do you know how difficult it is to talk and ride an escalator moving away from the person you are talking to at the same time?  Especially for someone who relies on lip reading clues as much as I do.  So I did the obvious thing.  I started walking down the up escalator.  Quite a chore, I might add, but it did keep us within earshot.  I finally decided to run the last few steps and get off the silly thing.  Almost fell at the end when there were no more steps and I was expecting one.  That’s a very strange feeling.  Chris continued the ride up, though.  Not quite as adventurous as me.  I made arrangements with Alexandra to meet up with her and Ryan and Joy later on after we all got settled in our seats.  Top of the sixth inning.  It was good to talk with them and hear their plans.  They have a new baby boy due in a month or so, and they agreed to let us know when he was here and safe. 

Oh, and about the game.  The roof was open, and it actually began to get cold.  We were glad to have brought jackets.  We did get to see Jason Castro hit a home run for the Astros.  He was one of a few that we remembered from last year.  The scoreboard did an imitation of the old Astrodome cowboy shootout celebration.  Nice, but just not the same as the original.  Never is, I guess.  Speaking of the scoreboard, it is very different even from the last game we attended there.  Incredibly high tech and it contains lots of information, but I think it was too much at one time.  We had a hard time locating even the clock that said what time it was.  I know it would get easier if we went more often, but I wanted to complain about something other than the American League. 

At the end of the eighth inning I was feeling my age.  Pains in the hip and elbows, general tired.  I leaned over to Chris and said, “I don’t have a diamond ring in my pocket or anything, but I’m ready to go if you are.”  She understood the reference immediately, of course.  See, the night we got engaged we went to an Astros game.  I carried the ring loose in my pocket all night until I could propose.  I didn’t hire out the scoreboard like one guy did last night.  I waited until we were in the car and safely back at the home where she was staying for the weekend. 

The Astros ended up finding a way to lose the game, of course.  Oh, and Chris did say yes when I asked her to marry me.  The rest, as they say, is history.

Psalms 84:10 says, “Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.”

Father, it was great to see another Astros game.  Even greater to do it with an actual date.  And greater still that the date was my wife.  Grant blessings to Nathan and April and my brother for giving us that chance.  Amen.

No comments: