Friday, April 12, 2013

April 12 – “Remembering Kennebunkport”

Here’s a quick update on one of my ongoing projects.  I have been slowly making progress on scanning our old photographs into the computer for storage.  And we have a lot of old photographs.  Some are from when we were kids, but the majority of them date from our wedding (oh, so long ago) to that fateful day when Chris finally got her hands on a digital camera.  From that point on the picture taking disease took a firm grasp upon her and steadily worsened until now it is nothing for us to have literally hundreds of jpeg images to wade through after an event.  And Chris has been doing her best to encourage Cailyn to carry on the family tradition.  We have at least one folder for every month that contains nothing but Cailyn’s creative approaches to photography.  She takes pictures of the dogs, the snails she finds, legs, arms, dresses she is working on sewing with Nani, her Daddy’s nose hairs.  I guess you get the idea.  Photography is a valued profession among the Vaughan women.

So back to the scanning progress.  I am just about half way through the year 2000.  And what an eventful year that was.  Through the miracle of ancient photography – the kind where you had to actually load film into the camera and then have it developed by one of those special places - I was able to re-live our 25th wedding anniversary trip to Maine.  Ah, now that was quite a trip.  Our children surprised us by presenting us a notebook at church one Sunday.  In it were some tickets and travel information for Chris’ dream trip to Maine.  That had been a family joke for many years.  Ever since the year we took my dream trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame in New York.  I refused to drive the five or six hours out of our way just so we could say we had been to Maine.  One of the pages in the notebook informed me that I had no choice this time.  I honestly don’t remember much about the trip except that we saw Kennebunkport, the retreat of President Bush, and we watched a Little League baseball game.  That was Chris’ concession to me for the lighthouses.  I guess we probably saw a Lighthouse or two … thousand.  They were everywhere and Chris was in light house heaven.  Oh, and I ate some lobster for the first time.  Definitely worth the trip.  Kind of like crab, only sweeter.

Psalms 85:10 says, “Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other.”

Father, thank you for memories.  Thank you more for the one you gave me to make the memories with.  Amen.

No comments: