Wednesday, April 10, 2013

April 10 – “Jetty 29 – A Love Story”

I spent the whole day yesterday at the Galveston County Courthouse.  It was a day comprised primarily of waiting.  I found out when I arrived that I was schedule to be a character witness, which meant I was hastily sworn in and then consigned to the hall to wait until my turn to testify came up.  And as it happened, my turn didn’t come up until sometime later in the afternoon.  I rued my decision not to bring along my book of crossword puzzles, but I did get a chance to meet a lady who was there to give her lawyer a document he needed.  She kind of inserted herself into another conversation I was having about Seaside.  She had just moved to Galveston and wanted to know some churches she and her fiancée could visit.  She said they were looking for a place with people their own age, mid to late twenties.  Of course she heard our biased opinion about Seaside, but she was living on 30th street, so I gave her some other options.  She then told us the romantic story of how she met her fiancée after spending some time out on Jetty 29, praying specifically for God to send her the right guy.  Two days after the prayer time, the two met and clicked right away and soon discovered that on the very same day she had been there, he had gone out on Jetty 29 and prayed for God to send him the right girl.  Sounds like a schmaltzy movie plot for the Lifetime channel, doesn’t it?  She shared a lot more with me later during our mutual waiting period, so I assured her I would pray for her. 

I finally gave my testimony and after some brief closing statements, the next period of waiting began, this time for the jury verdict.  It had to be nerve-wracking for the family.  As it turned out, they got a pretty good verdict, as good as they could hope for according to their lawyer.

I did get a chance in there to race home for some lunch.  Cailyn was spending the day with Nani, so we ate together.  And our lunchtime conversation?  We were in the kitchen.  She took up her spot on the floor and asked me to pass her the bag of Cheetos.  Once she was comfortable she looked up at me and said:

Cailyn: “Now we can talk.  DadDad, did you know that zombie phones stand on top of each other and move up until they get inside of your body.” 

DadDad: “Did you say zombie phones?  I didn’t know there were zombie phones.  That sounds kind of scary.  I sure don’t want one of them inside of me.”

Cailyn: “Me either.  Oh, and let me tell you something about zombies.  Zombies eat wood and your brains.  I don’t want them to eat my brains.  That’s why I told you yesterday to be quiet, because I heard a zombie and he wanted to eat your brains.”

DadDad: “Ah.  Well thank you for the warning.  I’d like to keep what little brains I still have.”

You have to watch out for those zombies … and their phones.

Psalms 85:4-7 says, “Restore us again, O God our Savior, and put away your displeasure toward us.  Will you be angry with us forever?  Will you prolong your anger through all generations?  Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?  Show us your unfailing love, O Lord, and grant us your salvation.”

Father, thank you for walking with that family through the court process yesterday.  And thank you for the “chance encounter” with the Jetty 29 lady.  Bless her and her fiancée in their life together.  Amen.

No comments: