Monday, April 29, 2013

April 29 – “It’s a girl”

Yeah.  Havent heard those words much in the Vaughan family.  We did hear them last night, though, or to be more specific, around 12:40 this morning.  Our newest granddaughter addition arrived in Houston.  We got the call asking if we wanted to pull an all-nighter, and the adrenaline kicked in.  We had to work out some major logistical details first.  Nathan and Cailyn came over to stay with Mom.  April had a job interview this morning and then a review class for her nursing board test, so she stayed at home.  I went up to Kel and Christina’s to stay with the boys.  Chris joined me when Nathan arrived.  Meanwhile, Christina’s sister came down from wherever she lives and relieved us.  Finally, somewhere around eleven o’clock we were on our way. 

It didn’t take long for Christina’s Dad and me to be consigned to the family waiting room, an ice box full of others in similar straits.  Seriously, that room was one of the coldest places I have been in a long time.  I was so glad I had grabbed a long-sleeved shirt and my chaplain cap.  We watched most of the Jim Carry movie, Yes Man, before we finally got the text announcement from the women (and Kel) that the little one was here.  It took a while longer before we were cleared for entry into the action room, but finally the doors were opened to us second class citizens.  And of course she was beautiful.  Dark eyes like her Mommy, so she has a great chance to be yet another Vaughan beauty.   Her hair seemed dark, too, but she hadn’t had a bath yet, so it may have just been still wet.  After the compulsory rounds of hundreds of pictures, old DadDad finally got to hold her.  The two of us had a quick discussion about her saving me a dance at her wedding, even if it meant pushing me around in my wheelchair.  I’ll have to save up some of my best moves for that one.

Now I know you want to hear all the vital statistics, so let me see if I can get these straight.  Seven pounds, five ounces.  Twenty inches long.  Now, I know there was something else I was supposed to say, but I can’t think of it right now.  It’s been a long night.  I’m sure I’ll remember it later.  Oh, speaking of later, we have to pick up the boys here in a bit and introduce them to their new little sister. 

Psalms 89:6 says, “For who in the skies above can compare with the Lord?   Who is like the Lord among the heavenly beings?”

Father, indeed you are unique.  I am once again amazed at how you can form a perfect little being with a touch of your uniqueness.  Like her mother, may this new little life develop the uniqueness you have touched her with until she blossoms into the beautiful woman you have created her to be.  Like her father, may she stand up for righteousness with the spirit of love and the boldness of her namesake.  Under the watchful eye of her three big brothers, may she grow to love you and to reflect your love to everyone she touches.  Grant her the confidence of Jachin, the passion of Micah, and the unbridled joy of Josiah as she tackles the world around her.  And surround her with love that can only be compared to that of … well, of her grandparents.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

No comments: