Friday, April 26, 2013

April 26 – “Chaplain possibilities”


I guess I have begun officially delving into what kinds of things I can be doing as fire department chaplain.  Yesterday I spent a long time trying to get the various lists I have accumulated compiled into one easily accessible document.  I also inserted fire fighters’ names onto a form I use for church so I can keep up with their birthdays.  Ultimately I’d like to have their families’ birthdays as well, but I suppose that will take a while.  I started asking to be friended on FaceBook by the guys I could find, and that seems to be going well.  That looks like it will be my best source of a picture of each one so I can learn to recognize them when I see them.  That would have been helpful the other day in WalMart when two guys recognized me.  I kind of enjoy knowing who I’m talking to, though that has never stopped me before.  I hope they will be patient with me and keep telling me names.  After all, I am just that old guy who is trying to help, and you know how old guys are about remembering stuff ……

One thing that I learned at the conference was that I need to become familiar with the fire department language.  Apparently it is like being in a foreign country when you spend time around the department.  One of the chaplains recommended two books to me that give a good picture of the terminology used.  I’m going to try to order them as soon as I can.  Interesting titles: Report from Engine Company 82 and I Love a Fire Fighter.  I also need to learn the names of the different tools and trucks and work assignments.  I have already picked up on a few of the unusual ways they refer to things as well.  I’m not sure who to ask, but it would be very interesting to find out the history behind those unique utterances.

Another project that I will start work on as soon as I get my business cards is connecting with local clergy as the chaplain.  I hope being a pastor myself will give me a little insight into how I might be received by them.  At least I’m not asking them to do anything more than they already have on their plate.  That always makes a difference for me.  I just need to develop a network of clergy to call in case one of the fire fighters specifically requests a particular denominational or other religious connection.  It’ll be good to meet the police department chaplain as well as any chaplains that might be working with the hospital.  I know they cut their program way back after Hurricane Ike, but they do still have a pastoral care office.  I’ll put it on my list.  Oh, and someone who can speak sign language in case that comes up.

And then comes the paperwork stuff.  Probably the first document I’ll work on is getting each fire fighter to fill out a personal information packet that includes the information we will need in case of a line of duty death.  Tough thing to talk about, but sounds like it would be extremely helpful to already have that information in place for things like who to contact and what special needs might exist that we would have to deal with. 

I talked to one of the fire fighters the other day about an issue that is apparently widespread among departments.  It involves the many different traditions associated with fire department funerals.  At issue is how to differentiate between recognition for one who has retired, one who is an active fire fighter but dies while off duty, and one who actually dies in the line of duty.  Sounds like a valid concern, but it is apparently left up to individual departments to decide.  That will be one I need to get some honor guard feedback on as well as see what the chief thinks. 

Among the other things on my ever-growing list are: find a history of the Galveston Fire Department; develop a map of concentrations of cultural groups in the city along such lines as ethnic, racial, and religious; take a CPR class; take the online classes on critical incidents at the FEMA website; get some fire fighter New Testaments; eventually offer a Bible study at one or more of the stations … it goes on and on.  So, it would seem that I am excited about the possibilities for ministry here.  Indeed.

Psalms 89:1 says, “I will sing of the Lord's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.”

Father, thank you for the ministry possibilities with GFD.  Please cover whatever efforts I make with a healthy dose of your Holy Spirit.  I sure need it.  Amen.

No comments: