Thursday, April 18, 2013

April 18 – “False alarm”


Christina stopped by with the boys after a library trip.  The first thing Jachin and Micah told us was, “Baby Sister almost came out yesterday.”  Well, that’s quite the announcement.  It was a false alarm, though. 

This morning I’m doing preparations for my trip to Fort Worth for the fire department chaplain conference.  That means I have no idea what my blog posts will be like for the next few days.  I will have my computer, but with the conference and catching up with old friends, I just don’t know about my time.  Mom was up and down again last night.  Chris kept our door closed and she stayed in the other bedroom so I could get some sleep before having to drive for five hours.  Great lady.

She did get to go to Hobby Lobby yesterday to get some material.  She wanted to have plenty of projects to work on while I’m gone.  I think Josiah might be getting his super hero cape for his birthday.  We’ll see.  She also got some stuff to do some more baby blankets for upcoming little ones. 

We got our plane and hotel reservations for our trip to New Jersey in August.  I’m doing a wedding for a dear friend who lives there.  The bride’s Dad asked me if there was anything near them that we had on our bucket list.  They live an hour from Manhatten and 45 minutes from Philly.  We have been to Philadelphia before and done the tourist-y things there.  Never even been to Manhatten.  I have no idea what might be there that could be related to anything on my bucket list.  Is that where Broadway is?  I’d like to see a Broadway show some day, especially if it’s the one where I know one of the actor/singers.  One of the kids from our youth group in Denver is now singing as Christine in Phantom of the Opera.  It would be cool to see her.

I did some more research on the fire fighters.  I am trying to locate them on FaceBook so I can get a window into who they are.  Honestly, it will help to have a picture of each guy so I can try to memorize some faces to go with names.  Maybe I can find out their birthdays and send them cards.  That should effectively double my birthday card list.  It might be a little ambitious to extend that to their families right now, but I would really like to get to know these guys.  Chris has been reading some reports to me about the explosion and fires in West, Texas.  As we feared, it sounds like an entire group of volunteer fire fighters, who were the first to respond to the fire before the explosion, are still unaccounted for.  It’s going to be a rough next few days, that’s for sure. 

Psalms 86:8 says, “Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord; no deeds can compare with yours.”

Father, send your Spirit to West.  Bring comfort and peace and healing and extra doses of strength for those still battling the fires.  Amen.

No comments: