Saturday, April 13, 2013

April 13 – “Sitting alone at Firestone”

I was sitting alone at Firestone, waiting patiently for my two new tires to be installed and my two old tires to be rotated.  I know.  Sounds like the start of a Country-Western ballad.  But I was really there yesterday.  The front tires on our car were getting pretty bare, and Chris was adamant that I get them replaced before I drive to Fort Worth next weekend.  Nobody was close enough to bother with a request to give me a ride both ways, so I decided to act like my Dad would have in a similar situation.  I got there at 7 a.m.  Sure worked for me this time.  They took it right in.  And the only thing extra I agreed to was an alignment.  That’s a surprise based on my past dealings with Firestone.  They usually come out with at least two or three “needed maintenance” things.  At least they are not as bad as the dealer, though.  They can come up with a laundry list of things, whether you need them or not. 

While I was waiting I got a text from one of the fire fighters.  He made me a chaplain’s cap and it was ready to be picked up.  Tires installed, I headed out to his station.  The squad was driving away as I walked up, so I figured the hat would have to wait.  I still went in to say hi to whoever was still around, though.  Just as I entered the captain’s office Nathan called.  The guys from the departing engine had called him to call me and tell me where the caps were.  The guy who actually found the hat was one of the drivers who was on vacation when I was introduced last week.  He commented, “I didn’t know we had a chaplain.”  That was all the other two guys needed.  They informed him about the meeting he had missed, and one of them commented, “Yeah, he’s Nathan’s Dad, the only guy in the whole fire department who can have a beard.”  I pointed out that I had been wondering about whether I would be required to shave it off, but he quickly reassured me and insisted that I was to keep the beard.  I assured him that since I had no intention of running into burning buildings, mask or not, so I would keep it.  I also asked what kind of hugs call the other guys were all heading to.  Answer?  “Breakfast.”  Hey, we all have to eat.

I really do like the cap.  It has the standard Galveston Fire-Rescue on the front, with K. Vaughan in the back.  But on the side it identifies me as Chaplain, followed by a cross.  I called the guy who made to let him know of my appreciation.   

In the afternoon I helped Kel and Christina get the last of their stuff out of their old house.  They have a buyer.  While driving to LaMarque with my truckload of stuff, I got a call from the Fire Department office.  The secretary told me I have a fitting for my chaplain uniform on Tuesday.  They were also ordering me some business cards and wanted to make sure they had all the correct information.  Guess this is really happening.

Psalms 85:11-13 says, “Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven.  The Lord will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest.  Righteousness goes before him and prepares the way for his steps.”

Father, please open the way for some new ministry opportunities through the fire department.  Amen.

No comments: