Wednesday, March 27, 2013

March27 – “The WalMart Guys”

Things are winding down to the big day Sunday.  Resurrection Day.  That means a sunrise service at 6:30 and a communion service at 10.  That means two sermons.  I have the one for the sunrise service pretty much down.  It is always pretty short and sweet, especially if it is cold.  I’m still working on the other one.  Not that it won’t be short and sweet.  It’s on John the Baptist as Worshipper, so I’m reviewing what we are supposed to be doing when we worship.  It’s been a good one for me to prepare for.  Hope it hits home for some folks Sunday.

I went to the Beth Moore Bible study at church.  The crowd is still holding strong around 12 or 13 every week.  It is nice to sit back and listen for a change with no responsibility for preparation.  Although I guess there is supposed to be, since the study is workbook based.  I don’t have a workbook, though.  Think I’ll stick with just listening.  She’s a good teacher.  I did get the sign changed to remind everyone about the sunrise service, though.

On the way home I stopped at WalMart to pick up some Claritin D again.  And again I realized that I had forgotten to pick up a coupon.  And again I heard Chris’ voice warning me not to buy Claritin without a coupon.  And again I responded in fear and trembling by backing out of the pharmacy line.  Besides that, one of my hearing aid batteries chose about that moment to crash out on me.  So I would be half-deaf until I could get home and change it.  Ah, well, how bad could that be?  The rest of my shopping trip would just go a little quieter than usual.  Just about the time I completed my exit from line, two young men called out my name and walked toward me.  I didn’t recognize them.  Well, one looked kind of familiar, but I certainly had no name to go with the face.  Fortunately they immediately began talking about the fire department and me becoming the new chaplain.  I did ask for names, but sadly, the hearing issue kicked in.  I think I heard one of them say “John” but I’m still not sure.  They were very encouraging, though.  They seemed to be genuinely pleased and even excited about me being the chaplain.  I’m looking forward to seeing them again next week when I get introduced to all the shifts.  Not that I will be able to connect names, but at least I may recognize the WalMart guys.

Last night I went to Jachin’s baseball game in Hitchcock.  Just minutes from the field I got stopped by train.  A long train.  And then it stopped, blocking the only way through.  I texted Kel to let him know what was going on.  The train finally started back up, but the delay had been every bit of fifteen minutes.  Come to find out I was the designated official scorekeeper and the game had been unable to start until I arrived, so they had to wait for me.  I was not alone, though.  Three of the other team’s players as well as Christina were all in that line with me.  The game was interesting.  Jachin’s team won 8-0.  The pitching machine pitched a perfect game.  The only kid who even hit a ball fair for the other team was thrown out, shortstop to Jachin who was playing first base.  Ah, baseball.  It’s about time.

Psalms 74:16-17 says, “The day is yours, and yours also the night; you established the sun and moon.  It was you who set all the boundaries of the earth; you made both summer and winter.”

Father, we could use some of that summer for the sunrise service Sunday.  But we’ll be ready for whatever you bring our way.  Amen.

No comments: