Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March 19 – “The new chaplain”


Well, as of yesterday afternoon I guess I am the new chaplain of the Galveston Fire department.  I met with the chief and assistant chief for about an hour to see what their expectations were.  Sounds like they are really on board with the position.  It was also fun to hear bits of their own God-stories.  They seem very excited about having someone available who has valid ministry credentials and who also has a connection to the department and to Galveston.  That would be me.  Guilty on all counts.  I officially signed up for the chaplain training conference weekend.  It will be held at Southwestern Seminary in April up in Fort Worth.  Even before the conference I’m meeting the assistant chief for three days in a row the first week of April.  He wants to introduce me to the fire fighters on each shift.  After that I will have access to each station to make visits and get to know the guys a little bit.  The assistant chief apparently wants me to have a uniform, too.  He mentioned it four times while we were talking.  He also said they would get me some business cards and add my name to their website.  The secretary wanted to know my cell phone number so I could get on the pager system they use for major fires.  The chief just wanted to know what to call me.  I told him most folks at Seaside call me Pastor Kelley, but I get called a lot of things.  His compromise name was “Chappy.”  I could live with that.

After the meeting I went over to the hospital to check on the little premie baby we have been following as well as Uncle Jerry.  Haisley is doing great.  I had no trouble getting in to see her this time.  I finally made “the list.”  She was tucked away in her isolette, so I just prayed for her and left I’m pretty sure she winked at me before I walked away, though. 

Uncle Jerry is another story, though.  He has been in there for two weeks now, and they still don’t know what caused the internal bleeding.  They have one more scope test scheduled for today.  He told me one story while I was there.  Seems he was having an ultrasound done, and the tech doing the test was constantly complaining about the quality of pictures he was getting.  He finally finished, and went into the next room.  The door didn’t close, though, and Jerry overheard him say he was going to delete the last two pictures.  Jerry lost it.  He screamed at him that it was not his decision.  It was up to the doctors.  Sounded like he really reamed him out.  A few hours later the doctor came by.  Jerry had been telling the story to everyone who would listen, especially doctors, so this one was no exception.  This one, though got a concerned look on his face.  He said he hadn’t seen those pictures yet, and left to take a look at them.  He returned about an hour later with a grin on face.  He said, “Those two pictures that you stopped him from deleting were the very ones we needed to determine that we don’t have to do surgery.”  Jerry still tears up when he tells that one.

Before I left another doctor came in with his entourage of medical students.  All the students were female, by the way.  He asked about the test scheduled for the next day, then quietly sent the students into the hall.  I thought he was going to do an exam of some kind, so I was trying to get myself out of his way.  He stopped me, though, and proceeded to tell an off color joke.  Something about a nurse misunderstanding a doctor’s orders and giving a patient Bud Light instead of a butt light.  Proctologist humor. 

Psalms 71:23-24 says, “My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you — I, whom you have redeemed.  My tongue will tell of your righteous acts all day long”

Father, thank you for the new opportunity to minister in the fire fighter community.  And could you reveal some information to the docs doing Jerry’s test today?  He’s looking really tired.  Amen.

No comments: