Wednesday, March 13, 2013

March 13 – “First of the season”

Well, now, I’m pretty excited this morning.  I get a chance to do two things at once.  I plan to spend a few hours hanging out with one of the new teenagers who has been coming to church.  That will be a great ministry opportunity.  The second thing involves what we will be doing … fishing.  That’s right.  It will be my first fishing trip of the season, and it comes none too soon. 

It’s always been a personal goal of mine to get in at least one fishing trip before our Easter Sunrise Service, especially if we have baptisms scheduled.  That way I can say I have been in the water at least once before we brave the frigid elements to proclaim someone’s commitment to new life in Christ.  This particular fishing trip doesn’t quite meet the specific conditions of the goal.  We are not going wade fishing.  But it has been so long since I have been at all, that I’ll take whatever I can get.

Oh, we’re not going out on a boat into the bay or on a charter boat into the ocean.  This one will be more of a Mayberry kind of experience.  Of course the kid is at least three heads taller than I am, so I’m not sure who will be Andy Griffith and who will be Opie.  Our plan is to set up shop near the boat dock in Jamaica Beach, near where he lives.  We’ll just fish off the bank there.  The spot is right off the main canal there.  I have done some fishing there before and caught some pretty good stuff.  Speckled trout.  Flounder.  Even a keeper red fish.  That’s the Big Three here on the Island.  Texas, too, I guess.  I’ve also caught some croaker, which is typical of canal fishing.  Of course we’ll also have to watch out for trash fish like the evil hardhead catfish, the Nemesis of the Sea. 

All that remains for me is to pick up some bait, text him that I am on my way (hey, this is a new generation.  Had to get technology in there somewhere), and head on out.  Time’s a-wasting.

Psalms 71:8 says, “My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.”

Father, I can’t say my life has been filled with your praise all day long on most days.  I’m sorry for that.  When I catch myself wallowing in anything other than praise I inevitably realize that joy always, ultimately comes from you.  Thank you for that.  Amen.

No comments: