Friday, March 1, 2013

March 1 – “Wedding plans”

Well, I actually typed in “February” to start off this entry.  Didn’t want to waste all that energy on a mistake, so I created this sentence to have a place to put it.  Think I have a chance at a government job? 

I spent most of my day yesterday at my desk again.  It wasn’t all computer work, though.  I actually used some of the cut and paste skills I allegedly learned at seminary when I got a master’s degree in education instead of theology.  I had to generate two calendars for Seaside.  One was to hand out to people so they can have something to put up on their refrigerator door.  The other one was the big calendar we hang at the coffee station at the church for folks to see when they come on Sundays.  Great fun, of course.  Typing all the letters to describe events, making a copy of them, cutting them out, and pasting them in just the right spot on the calendar page.  Then googling appropriate pictures, saving them to the computer, adjusting their size so they will fit the document, printing them out, cutting them to fit around letters, and pasting them down as well.  Then making twenty or thirty copies to hand out.  The process is basically the same for the wall calendar … only bigger.  I was cutting and pasting right up until people started arriving for life group.  Maybe someone else will volunteer for this job next month.

Cailyn was here again yesterday.  Her Dad was working an extra job and her Mom had a big nursing school test.  She made it possible for me to have a break from my desk when it came time to “read books.”  That’s grandparent code for “We hope you fall asleep for a nap but we’re not going to mention the ‘N’ word and besides DadDad will probably fall asleep anyway.”  After we read third book and I could hardly keep my eyes open, Cailyn began telling me about her impending wedding.  Calm down, Nathan.  She didn’t have an exact date yet.  Or a groom.  Just the wedding.  I have always suspected that the whole “I know just what my wedding day will be like” thing comes imbedded in a girl’s genes.  This conversation was further proof of that.  She described her dress: white, of course, with trappings of (I hope I captured them all.  I was taking notes on the edges of the crossword puzzle book that sits on my bedside table): pink, diamonds, and “sixes” (I asked twice about that one.  Still don’t know what they are, but she repeated it very slowly when she realized I was writing it down – like I was some kind of dullard.  And in matters such as this … she was right).  She also said about the dress, “Oh, DadDad.  Write that it will be skinny.”  Skinny dress.  Got it.  She noted that she will also wear a tiara with a bride stuck to it (Finally, something I understood.  We have pieced together from earlier conversations that a “bride” is her word for the veil).  That settled, she next struggled with, “Now, let’s see, DadDad, what else will I be wearing.  I know there will be shoes.  New shoes.  And they will be white for my dress.  Write that: New white wedding shoes.”    Foolishly, I wondered if she would wear gloves, too.  “That’s right, DadDad.  Gloves.  Cinderella wears gloves at the ball.”  Well, there you go.  Can’t let Cinderella have the upper hand, now, can we?  With the outfit complete, I asked if she would have a dance at the wedding.  She assured me there would be dancing, so I hesitantly continued, “And who will you dance with?”  Guess who was at the top of her list?  This old man, right here.  Of course we may be rolling around in my wheel chair by then.  She did add that she would save one dance for “who I can find to be my husband … like Prince Charming.”  Ah, young Prince Charming, whoever you may be, may God prepare you now for a lifetime of joy with this lovely young maiden.  And you better treat her right, because her Daddy knows a guy …

Jeremiah once warned in 2:32: “Does a maiden forget her jewelry, a bride her wedding ornaments?  Yet my people have forgotten me, days without number.”

Father, I do pray for Cailyn’s future husband, and for the wives of our grandsons, whoever they may be.  Prepare them for each other even now.  Amen.

No comments: