Sunday, March 17, 2013

March 17 – “Security issues at the Y”


Chris and I had some quality time together yesterday.  We spent a good part of the day working in one of our flower beds.  She pretty much cleaned out all of the ones in the backyard by herself, so I offered to join her in attacking the dollar grass that invaded the bed in the front.  It’s the one that gets overrun by periwinkles during the Spring, so I don’t imagine it will be long before the same thing happens again.  She has transplanted some other stuff in there to give it a different slant this year.  We’re waiting to see how that comes out.  One of the transplants was the Easter lilies.  Of course those things should really be called Mother’s Day lilies, because they never bloom before sometime in May.  It should be quite colorful, though, if everything blooms at once.

I pulled some babysitting duty on Friday.  One of the single Moms in the church had to work the evening shift and she couldn’t find anyone to pick up her little girl from day care at the YMCA.  I made the journey all the way over to 39th and L to pick her up.  Interesting experience there.  I was asked to sign her out, but no one asked for my ID.  The Mom had told them someone else would be picking the little girl up, but it just seemed strange they didn’t want to verify who I was.  Then I couldn’t find her name on the list, so the worker found it for me and asked me to initial next to her name.  Finally I was told to go on back and get her.  I didn’t know where “on back” was, so I started in the general direction of her point.  To her credit, one of the workers did join me for the journey, but she peeled off as soon as we reached the big room.  I did see the little girl, and she did recognize me, so we managed to make the necessary connections there.  She didn’t have the backpack I was told would be with her, though.  The worker assured me she hadn’t come in with one.  Guess that’s something her Mom will have to sort out.  I had no trouble getting her.  That was the thing that troubled me.  I would sure recommend that they take a look at security measures.

And now to look over the teaching and the kids’ sermon for church today.  We have another group visiting.  This one is from University of Mary Hardin Baylor.  They are going to intro the teaching with some kind of testimony/skit.  I’m interested to see how it works out. 

Psalms 71:17-18 says, “Since my youth, O God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.  Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.”

Father, I guess I have made it to the old and gray part.  I have seen you do some pretty marvelous things.  Don’t stop now.  The fact that you are still at work makes it so much easier to point the next generation to you.  All about action, these young ones.  Amen.

No comments: