Sunday, March 3, 2013

March 3 – “Projects, projects, projects”


I finally finished up the power point I have been working on for about two weeks.  It’s the next installment in the church and world history class I’ve been teaching on Sunday mornings before church.  Now we are all set to live through the 300’s.  Ah, what a century.  Constantine takes charge.  The Roman Empire splits in two.  The Nicene Creed gets written.  The Olympics get outlawed.  Such drama.  Such excitement.  Nine a.m. weekly.  Same Bat-time.  Same Bat-channel.  Sorry.  I digress.

I also was privileged with the responsibility of grocery shopping yesterday.  All by myself.  I am truly a big boy now.  See, this wasn’t one of those quick, run out for some milk things that I do all the time.  This one was the whole shooting match.  Every aisle.  Every corner of the store.  At least I didn’t have to enter the dreaded middle section … clothing/home improvement.  Of course I took Chris with me in that tiny marvel of technology, the cell phone.  I think I texted her at least seven times with “what brand” or “how about this” questions.  And she patiently answered every one, even adding some wisecracks to lighten the mood.  Not exactly the same as being there in person, but the contact made the experience go much faster. 

Once I got home and unloaded Chris decided to go out on her own for a journey as well.  She, however, was much braver than I.  She determined to head into Texas for a perusal of the quilt shop.  I think it’s located in Dickinson, but once you get on the other side of the Causeway all those little towns look alike.  She has had a lot of time to ponder what she needs/wants to get done.  There are a few more baby quilts she has in her sights, and now she is ruminating about making enough stuff to enter the church’s craft fair come May.  She mentioned kids’ aprons and t-shirt dresses like she made for Cailyn.  She would be good at it, whatever she decides on. 

I did have one other project yesterday.  I stained one of the dining room chairs that we salvaged and stripped after Hurricane Ike.  The jury is still out on whether it will pass muster and be allowed at the table along with its darker brethren.  Even after two coats of the darkest stain this side of the ones marked “ebony.”  The wood looks really pretty.  The issue is whether it comes close enough to matching.  I don’t see why it wouldn’t.  After all, we have had them sitting there totally nude for months and months.  At least now it has some kind of covering. 

Psalms 69:30 says, “I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.”

Father, enter some lives today with real power.  Amen.

No comments: