Friday, March 15, 2013

March 15 – “Chaplain?”


We had a very exciting event happen last night.  Our friend Jennifer, who has been confined to a wheelchair for the last six months, actually walked into Life Group.  Now, she was using a walker and her husband followed close behind with the wheelchair, but she did make the walk from the front door to the den before hitting the chair again.  She didn’t stay in it long, though.  She managed to rearrange things on the couch and propped her leg up on Bryan’s lap.  That was a memorable moment for all of us.  We have been praying for her for a long time.  

Nathan called me the other day and asked if I would be interested in being the chaplain of the Galveston Fire Department.  It’s not an honorary position or anything.  It would be a lot of work, in fact.  I would be on call 24 hours a day (like I’m not already as a pastor).  In the event of a particularly bad fire or a fatality incident, I would be called out to minister to the families involved.  I would also go with one of the chiefs to inform families of fire fighters killed or injured in the line of duty.  When there are no major crises to deal with, I would visit each of the stations and get to know the fire fighters.  There might be occasions to represent the department in other places as well. 

Nathan took the first step and had a meeting with Chief Smith and Assistant Chief Wisko to see what they thought about it.  They were immediately on board.  Chief Smith has had some opportunities in the past to help get chaplaincies started with volunteer departments, so he has seen first hand the help they can be.  They now want to meet with me to see what needs to happen to get the program going.  We have that meeting set up for Monday afternoon at 1:30.

I know the first thing I need to do is attend a training seminar in Forth Worth next month.  It’s at the seminary, and I already have a place to stay with some friends in Arlington.  All that remains on that front is making the reservation and getting them the $150 registration fee.  In the meantime I plan to do some more internet research on tasks and job descriptions and the like.  I need to arrange with some of the other pastors on the Island to be on standby in case I have something at church that prevents me for responding.  I also need a network of connections with clergy from other denominations in the event a fire fighter or family member prefers contact with a priest or rabbi.  I don’t foresee any problems there.  Could use a lot of prayers, though.  I am excited and certainly humbled about the opportunity, but it’s a big commitment to add on top of pastoring a church.  I figure if I could juggle family and coaching basketball and working in a church, then I should be able to work this out as well.

Psalms 71:14-15 says, “But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.  My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure.”

Father, I give you this chaplaincy thing.  I’d be proud to be a part of it, but do your will in it, whatever that may look like.  Amen.

No comments: