Thursday, March 28, 2013

March 28 – “The Mistake”

I made another mistake the other day.  Not an unusual occurrence, certainly.  Happens every day at least once.  And it was nothing earth-shattering or so disturbing that it must be held apart from public consumption.   I just don’t remember right now what The Mistake was to be honest.  The Mistake was simply one thing that came up briefly in a conversation Chris and I were having.  So why bring it up now?  Cailyn overheard our conversation, taking it all in with that sponge-like four-year-old brain of hers.  She didn’t say anything at the time, but later on she breached the subject with Chris.  With awe in her voice she almost whispered, as if saying it out loud would make it happen again and this time it would be her fault.  “Nani, I didn’t know DadDads made mistakes.”  Ouch.  Scrambling to rectify her disappointment, I had a plan. 

“I know, Cailyn.  It’s awfully hard to believe that larger-than-life, super-hero-ish DadDad is actually just a man.  But occasionally I have to make what appears to be a mistake to the rest of the world so that my secret identity as Super DadDad can be preserved.  It’s the only way my family – and that includes you – can be kept safe from the evil super-geniuses out there in the world.  So you see, I made that mistake on purpose for you.  It was … your fault.”

I know.  That sounded kind of harsh, didn’t it?  Well, I didn’t actually say that. We did use the opportunity as a teachable moment to assure her that everyone makes mistakes.  And even though we make mistakes, there is someone who will love us no matter what.  And that someone is … Nani.  And Jesus.  And he’s better at it than even Nani.

Ephesians 3:17-19 says, “…. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge — that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”

Father, thank you for loving me in spite of my mistakes.  Amen.

No comments: