Friday, March 29, 2013

March 29 – “Julie”

There have been many times over the years when I have been more than casually thankful to be married to Chris.  She was amazing to have caring for me after my multiple neck surgeries.  In fact in any medical situation her inner nurse kicks in and she seems to know just what the best course of action is.  She learned how to keep the books for a basketball game when our boys were playing and I was coaching.  And she became the best, most thorough bookkeeper the organization had.  She is an amazing cook, an especially helpful trait with three boys and a husband in the house.  I could certainly go on and on.

Well, this was one of those times.  Cailyn came over yesterday while her mom took a nursing school test, and as she is accustomed to doing, she brought with her some things to play with.  This time she brought her new doll.  She has toted dolls in here often, but apparently this one was something special.  She usually has a hard time coming up with names for her inanimate charges.  Although not so much for her imaginary friends, but then I guess they told her what their names were.  But this doll, as I said was something special.

It came with a name.  Julie.  Nice name.  I have a cousin named Julie.  But this doll named Julie was famous.  It had an accompanying book written about it.  Strange kind of book, too.  The story line was something about the doll’s parents getting a divorce and the pending major move and separation from friends.  Sounded quite depressing, actually.  I suppose it could be helpful if Cailyn was actually in that situation herself.  It would give her something to relate to.  But she’s not.  So it was a strange kind of book.

Speaking of books, Cailyn also had a magazine – no, make that a catalogue – of all the many accessories that were available to keep the doll decked out.  There were doll earrings and doll makeup and, believe it or not, even doll dogs.  I mean little doll dogs built to the scale of the Julie doll. 

And clothes.  Clothes out the wazoo.  Clothes that would keep the Julie doll warm.  A bathing suit for going to the beach in Galveston.  And perhaps most frightening, clothes that matched what Cailyn was wearing.  And with so many clothes Cailyn felt obligated to show off.  All of them.  In the world of girls that obviously meant a fashion show was in order.  OK, here’s where my beloved, beautiful, answer-to-prayer wife comes in.  I was able to gracefully bow out of viewing the fashion show.  Chris expediently became available.  And she was actually interested in all the stuff.  So the two of them disappeared into the bedroom to ogle the catalogue and dress and redress the Julie doll.  It must have been fun for them.  April even disappeared into the girlie abyss when she arrived.  I was glad they were able to experience some real girl-type bonding.  I was even more glad when they came out to fix supper.  Did I mention Chris is a fabulous cook?

Psalms 75:1-2 says, “We give thanks to you, O God, we give thanks, for your Name is near; men tell of your wonderful deeds.”

Father, thank you for the girls you placed in my life.  Even though I don’t understand them, they are marvelous creatures.  Amen.

No comments: