Monday, March 25, 2013

March 25 – “The Accidental Visitor”


We had some families from Canada and Oklahoma join us in worship yesterday.  In fact a couple from Kansas sang a few Southern Gospel songs for us.  The first one went quite well.  The second one took a while to get through, though.  We had some technical issues with the cd she wanted to use as accompaniment.  Between our tech crew and her husband, they finally found the problem and got it going.  The whole time they worked, she came up with topic after topic to talk about to fill the dead air. All things considered, they did an admirable job.                           

One new family was there who live in Sea Isle.  They have three kids, one of which is just barely youth camp age.  I mentioned camp to the Mom, and she said she remembered going to camp every summer as a kid.  Hope she can join up with our guys this time.  This was one of those Sundays where I got thanked for the service several times.  I said thank you, of course.  My Mom would settle for nothing less.  But I did let them know that anything that “worked” must have been evidence that the Holy Spirit was with us.  One thank you came because I “made the idea of baptism so easy to understand.”  The other thank you came from our Accidental Visitor.  We get those from time to time.  This guy had been given directions to a church somewhere in Galveston.  At some point, however, he made a wrong turn or missed a sign or something, because he realized he must have gone too far.  He didn’t turn around, though.  Instead he looked up and saw our church sign.  Intrigued, he came in and joined us.  His thank you was for being a place where the Spirit of God was very evident.  He believed there are no such things as accidents, and that God must have directed him to Seaside.  Oh, and did I mention that he was from Nigeria?  Fascinating guy, but very hard for me to understand because of his broken English.  I heard enough to understand that he loved Jesus a lot, though.  And I certainly agreed with him about his presence having nothing to do with accidents. 

I didn’t do a separate Kids sermon this week.  Instead I mixed in a lot of participation with the rest of the teaching.  Boy, did I have some good participation.  The teaching was about baptism.  About time in a series on John the Baptist, don’t you think?  And the kids’ involvement?  Well, at one point we played Follow the Leader.  I was the leader, and had a string of little guys behind me.  We walked and hopped and twirled, and I finally got on my hands and knees and crawled for a while.  That got the older folks’ attention.  The kids did a great job.  Mother May I went well.  Especially for the little guy from Canada who followed commands and ended up getting a bag of M&M’s.  And then there was Will.  I asked if anyone wanted to volunteer to be in a special club.  All you had to do was one thing.  Just got the one volunteer.  Will.  I told him he could be a member if he stood in front of everyone and said, “Hi, I’m Will and Pastor Kelley is awesome.”  That was the name of the club, The Pastor Kelley is Awesome Club.  Will didn’t just say it.  He proclaimed it.  Loud. 

So, the sermon itself was about how baptism is a picture.  How could I teach something like that and not have a lot of images?  A bar of soap showed how baptism represents spiritual cleansing.  A toy boat I carved helped me show the original meaning of the word “baptism.”  It’s what happens when a boat sinks to the bottom – it is completely immersed in water.   I used one of Chris’ little spades to picture baptism as a picture of dying to your old life and being buried and raised to a new life with Jesus.  Playing Follow the Leader with the kids was the next one.  It’s kind of an obvious one, too, isn’t it?  We get baptized we follow Jesus, and he got baptized.  It’s a way to be like him.  The games were going so well, we did a round of Mother May I.  That showed how baptism is following Jesus’ command in the Great Commission.  Next I talked about the culture of being a runner and how once you complete that first milestone race, whether it be a 10K or making it around the block, you are officially considered “one of the gang,” a real runner.  Like that, baptism shows you are one of the family of God.  Then came the new club experience.  That showed how baptism initiates you into a community of common experience with others who have done the same thing.  Finally, good old Mike Bell had his trusty Houston Texans hat on, so we all looked at him and saw that baptism also identifies you with a local organization of believers, in our case called Seaside Church.  After all that, the bottom line question came to light: If all this is true – if Jesus really lived a perfect life, and died, and rose from the dead … for me – then why would I not want to commit my life to him?  And why would I not want to get baptized?

Matthew 28:19-20 says, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Father, thank you for being so … present.  Amen.

No comments: