Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1 – “New Years’ Headband”

Have you played that new game called “Headband” yet?  I went to one of those raucous New Year’s Eve parties last night, and the game was the hit of the affair, at least while I was there.  Of course I did leave shortly before ten o’clock.  That was the same as midnight somewhere out in the Atlantic Ocean, wasn’t it?  Actually I wanted to be home before the crazies got out in traffic.  Plus, who would I have to kiss at midnight?  I had to get back to be at Chris’ side for the final drop of the ball.  I made it, too.  I’m pretty sure Chris was right at my side when midnight rolled around.  Not absolutely certain.  After all, I had been asleep for an hour or so by that time. 

And back to Headband.  It was quite similar to a game we used to play at youth fellowships back in the eighties.  Back then we would stick a person’s name on everyone’s back and they had to ask yes or no questions to figure out who they were.  This game expanded on the oldie a bit.  Made it considerably more confusing.  Now you could be anyone or anything, literally.  Person, place or thing.  That could get bewildering, you know.  Like the time Lora had “Vet’s office” followed immediately by just “office.”  Wow.

And the part that I think was the best of all, the card was placed in a holder on the individual headband everyone wore.  Why is that such an incredible innovation?  Because it forces everyone to at least appear to be looking at each other.  Not an easy task for many people out there.  There was a timer involved – one of those hourglass things so popular with games of this sort.  Not that we paid much attention to it. 

Now the point in the game that stopped me in my tracks came when Rita placed her word on her head – Princess Diana.  By about three or four questions, she was guessing the names of super heroes.  And when she got to Wonder Woman, Lora and I both thought she got it correct.  After all, Wonder Woman is a princess of the Amazons and her name is Diana.  I was befuddled after that.  It took me forever (and a pretty direct illegal clue from Rita) to figure out I was Elvis Presley.  Hannah had a particularly difficult time being chopsticks, in spite of a rousing rendition of the piano piece – a duet by Rita and Lora accomplished by slapping their fingers on the table.  Made perfect sense to me.  Of course I never would have gotten it either.  I figured out that I was a hose when I figured out that I was used outside and then someone pointed at the position of my hand as I assumed my “I have no idea what question to ask next” pose – palms up in front of me.  “That’s the position of the hand when you are being used.”  Of course it is.  I’m just glad my exit time came up before I had to figure out that I was a moustache.

Revelation 21:5 says, “He who was seated on the throne said, ‘I am making everything new!’ Then he said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.’”

Father, thank you for one more year.  Help us use it wisely.  Amen.

No comments: