Thursday, January 24, 2013

January 24 – “Hunting or gathering?”


Cailyn joined me on my trip to WalMart the other day.  Once she was strapped into her carseat and I was dutifully restrained in my seat belt, she had a suggestion for a unique way to pass the time during the long three minute ride.  “Let’s play make silly faces.”  And she launched right in with a variety of those “fingers pulling the mouth into various hideous positions” that would certainly have compelled my grandmother to start one of her tirades about how “your face is gonna get stuck like that.”  It was a chore watching each facial shift through the rear view mirror while trying to keep enough of an eye on the road, but I managed.  And of course after she finished her best one yet, Cailyn decided the inevitable had arrived.  It was my turn.  Ah, I knew it was coming, but I never have been good at driving with my knees, so I had to make do with one finger in my mouth and an array of facial contortions.  Don’t think I would have won any contests, but I did make Cailyn laugh.  Mission accomplished.

Shopping with a little girl who doesn’t understand the mechanics of a male shopping venture is difficult.  She isn’t excited about things like seeing how fast we can get through all the things on Nani’s list.  Or even helping me find the next thing on our treasure hunt.  No.  We had to look at things like lipstick and hairclips.  I don’t even know how to speak that language.  “How much of this do you put on your face?  What color of lipstick comes in the Cinderella case?”  That was about the best I could come up with.  At least all the products she was attracted to had some Disney princess on them so I could talk about the character and not how to apply the goop.  When we finally escaped the makeup section she saw a different stack of product that I thought we would pass without incident.  But no.  She wanted mouthwash (again, Princess flavored).  So I asked her what mouthwash was good for.  She thought briefly, then decided she didn’t know.  “Hah,” I thought, “Got you.  Now let’s get over to the grocery department.  Products I can relate to.”  But I forgot that she is, after all, a girl.  There would be no silent retreat.  She only paused a moment or two before she asked me back, So what is mouthwash good for, DadDad?”  I told her it makes your mouth feel extra clean after you brush your teeth.  So she showed me her teeth and said, “Well, I haven’t brushed my teeth today.  Na na na na na na.”  I replied, Oh.  Well, then you aren’t ready for the mouthwash then.  So let’s go find some chocolate milk.”  I guess that finally sounded reasonable to her.  Finally, the old man gets in the last word.  Or so I thought.  As we rounded the corner and headed for the dairy section, I heard her mutter, “Aw.  My Mommy and Daddy never let me get anything either.”  Her malaise didn’t last long, though.  After all, the candy isle loomed just ahead. 

Psalms 61:4 says, “I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.”

Father, thank you for the little joys of silly faces and candy isles.  Amen.

No comments: