Wednesday, January 23, 2013

January 23 – “A double-good day”


I had two really exciting things happen yesterday.  One involved a baby.  Little Haisley Anderson was born way, way early in an emergency C-section.  Mom is doing great, and Haisley seems to be doing well, too.  At least as well as a two pounder can be doing.  She was transferred to UTMB’s special care unit for premature babies.  That’s where the exciting part for me comes in.  I went down there to see if any family members were around.  None were, so I asked the receptionist if I could go in and pray for Haisley.  It took some doing, including a phone call to Daddy for his approval and dousing my arms with that antiseptic soap, but they let me back on the unit.  Haisley is on a ventilator, but is doing some breathing on her own.  She also reacts with a noticeably higher heart rate when people are around and talking to her, so she is responding well to stimuli.  It was quite an honor to gently stroke her head and hand as I prayed for her and her Mom.  The team of medical students also asked me to “bless us, too.”  Great experience.

The second event is most definitely a milestone.  It relates to the abandoned house next door to us.  The level of human activity increased dramatically last week.  Chris talked to several of them … shortly before they threw up.  The stench had become unbearable inside the house.  But they assured Chris that they were working for the “Demo Guy,” and that the house was indeed set to be torn down.  Sure.  We have heard that before.  Even when the Demo Guy himself showed up Sunday and said it would be gone by next week, Chris said she would believe it when she saw it and not a moment before.  It didn’t take long, though, for another team of men to arrive and start removing some of the bigger items from inside the house.  Again, we have seen plenty of that over the last four and a half years as well.  But then that team started removing the windows.  And the back door.  Now that looked like progress.

Then yesterday the Demo Guy knocked on out front door.  Come to find out I went to Grace Episcopal Church with him when we were little kids.  I talked to him about where he was in his walk with God now, and he said he hasn’t been to church in many years.  He did seem fascinated by the fact that I was a “priest” at a church in Jamaica Beach, but the church wasn’t Episcopalian.  I encouraged him to pay us a visit sometime, and left the door open for further conversations.  That’ll be another guy for my prayer list.  Anyway, Phillip was knocking to let us know that the big truck and the demolition machines were about fifteen minutes away.  Chris leapt into action.  She called to let Jachin, Micah, and Josiah know about their next field trip to see a house torn down.  Cailyn was already here.  It would be a real event to behold.

And indeed it was.  The huge excavator smashed into the roof time and time again with its massive claw.  And the operator was a master.  I was amazed at the intricate actions he was able to take.  He picked up every scrap of metal that they would redeem for special prices and placed it in a separate pile.  He even used an old mattress as a mop head to wipe clean the concrete slab.  When all is said and done, the estimate is that it will take four truck loads to carry it all away.  As I type the third has driven away and the excavator is finer tuning the last pile.  He hasn’t started breaking up the slab yet, but that is supposed to happen as well.  Looks like by this time tomorrow we will have a great vacant lot next door.  I would love to buy it and have an extra big yard.  We could put in a garden for the kids to work in.  I don’t know how much it would cost, though.  I don’t even know who to ask.  Of course I don’t know where the money would come from, either.  But, hey, a guy can dream, can’t he?

Psalms 61:4-5 says, “I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.  Selah.  For you have heard my vows, O God; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.”

Father, thank you for little babies and big excavators.  Amen.

No comments: