Friday, January 11, 2013

January 11 – “Cailyn Eli”


I got to do another memorial service on the beach last night.  It was very short and sweet.  I read some scripture and prayed, then the family released some biodegradable balloons into the sky in memory of their recently deceased grandfather who lived in Iowa.  They did the same thing a while back when their grandmother died. 

I got home in plenty of time to prepare for our home Bible study.  And Cailyn was over for a visit as well.  That always makes for an exciting evening.  Our usual process for the Bible study is to sing four or five songs (singing along with recorded music.  Get it loud enough and everyone sings because they can’t hear themselves), then I lead in the study.  Cailyn was apparently getting a little antsy as we were singing.  Chris told her the plan.  “First we sing some songs.  Then DadDad talks about Jesus.”  Apparently she needed some confirmation from the horse’s mouth, so to speak, because she came over to me and quietly asked, “When will the TV be quiet again?”  I pondered my answer.  Ah, a valid question for this era of technology, is it not?  This shaper of our culture.  This robust entertainer.  This cause of rampant laziness.  When will the TV be quiet, indeed?  Pushing the arrow key to advance the powerpoint to the next stanza, I finally replied in my best philosophical voice, “Two more songs.”  That seemed to be a good enough answer for her. 

After everyone left, she brought me her Barbie doll to unveil her latest fashion creation.  She had wrapped the doll in some paper towels, and with an expertly devised touch of scotch tape, she had concocted one of those tight-fitting, strapless wedding gowns.  Quite amazing, actually.  I don’t see how women move in something like that, but hey, this was Barbie.  She doesn’t have to move much anyway.  Cailyn held it out to me with some cryptic instructions.  At least they were confusing to me.  I thought she said “Give her to Cailyn,” so I handed it back to her.  I was quickly informed that I had once again misunderstood the initial command.  With her fingers pointing to the sky and the flat of her palm facing me, she hastened to clarify, “No, DadDad.  I said give it to Cailyn Eli.”  Oh, of course you did.  And of course I hastened to seek further clarification.  “Oh, Cailyn Eli.  So who is Cailyn Eli?”  Notice my use of repetition.  I wanted to make sure I was getting it right this time.  The satisfied nod and quirky grin told me I nailed it.  She looked up at me with those big brown eyes and oh-so gently explained, “Cailyn Eli is my sister, DadDad.  She lives at my house.”  Ah.  A sister.  Of course.  How could I have missed that event?  Sounds like I need to check some things out with Nathan and April.

Psalms 55:23 says, “… But as for me, I trust in you.”

Father, I do.  Amen.

No comments: