Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January 15 – “The joys of perspective”

Well, I guess I really do need some rest.  I discovered this morning that I forgot to take my medication last night.  Not that it kept me up any more or less than usual.  I forgot to feed the dogs the day before.  Not a big deal.  Chris took care of it when she got up.  It’s just the idea of forgetting things.  Doesn’t bode well for my future years of senility if I use up all the fun stuff now.  Then again, maybe I can give my kids a preview of the joys of taking care of good ol’ forgetful Dad.

Speaking of previews, back when Josh and his family were here for Christmas I overheard an interesting discussion between Micah and Zakary.  I don’t know what precipitated it, but what I heard was a dialogue concerning the definition of a “sneak peek.”  Zakary presented his platform first, and it was a debater’s dream.  It was well-thought out, logical in form, and wrapped around an easy to follow example.  He said a sneak peek was “when they show you part of what a movie is going to be about – just enough to make you want to see the whole movie.”  Well said, Zak.  And then Micah had his turn in rebuttal.  He was quite kind.  He acknowledged that what Zakary had said indeed had a certain ring of truth to it.  Actually he didn’t say that.  I just surmised it from the long pause, the furrowing of his brow, and the nod of his head.  When he finally gathered his thoughts he came forth with this reply, “Well, I thought a sneak peek was when my Mom and Dad have movie night together on our TV at home, and I get out of bed really quietly and take sneak peeks at what they are watching.”  Ah, the joys of perspective.  You are indeed both right. 

Psalms 57:1 says, “Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge.  I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.”

Father, it would be so much better to avoid disaster altogether, but thank you for the promise to walk with us through tough times.  Amen.

No comments: