Thursday, January 17, 2013

January 17 – “On gravy”

I felt kind of crummy all day yesterday.  Hard time breathing with sinuses clogged up.  Bit of a sore throat.  Chris said at least one of my eyes was really bloodshot.  Hard time getting to sleep.  I was a veritable walking TV commercial without the miracle drug cure.  The consummate “before.”   But Cailyn came over while her Mommy was in school.  That helped.  I did keep breathing.  Always a plus.  As far as I could tell I could still see out of my bloodshot eye.  And I did eventually get some sleep.  At least as much as my “usual” of late.  And we are well past the Mayan end of the world date, so that’s not at all a bad thing.  And I had a phone call this morning from a friend who gave me some much-needed encouragement.  I guess I could take on what the world has for me today after all.  It’s all a matter of regaining perspective.  It’s not about me and my ills and travails and pains and worries.  The only thing I really need is Jesus.  Everything else is just gravy.  It either makes the world taste better, and helps put on a few pounds, or it tastes nasty and needs to be “spat upon the ground,” but in the end, it’s just not absolutely necessary. 

Psalms 57:7-8 says, “My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.  Awake, my soul!  Awake, harp and lyre!  I will awaken the dawn.”

Father, so what’s on tap for today that you and me together can handle?  Amen.

No comments: