Tuesday, January 22, 2013

January 22 – “Fresh encounters of the WalMart kind”


I had the privilege yesterday of doing grocery shopping for a family who needed some - us.  It wasn’t nearly as fun as it used to be.  Ever since we got married going grocery shopping has been like a date for Chris and I.  It’s the time we can talk without the usual interruptions of the world.  It’s been a while.  Actually I did take Chris with me in a sense through the miracle of modern cell phonery.  I had several questions about the orders she placed on the list.  Well, not a question so much as I just couldn’t find some of the stuff, and I needed her call on what substitutions to make. 

We have been talking at church about looking for opportunities to share your faith, so I looked for the checker we have been working to establish a relationship with.  She wasn’t there, so I chose a random line with a young girl who looked fairly fresh.  After all it was morning.  When I got up to the counter, though, she was having some problems.  Seems her photo gun thing that shoots the price codes didn’t work.  She just had to lift some heavy bags of kitty litter and now she was sore.  I struck up a conversation with her about it and encouraged her with, “What you are doing, you are doing very well.  Even if WalMart doesn’t appreciate it, God is watching and he knows where your heart is.”  Her entire countenance changed.  She grinned and said, “I know that’s right.  It really is.  I believe that, you know.  Boy do I believe that.”  I chuckled and asked where she went to church.  She told me and I let her know I went to Seaside down in Jamaica Beach.  She said, “That’s really far out there.”  I laughed and gave her my “It’s only eleven miles from right here” speech.  Very pleasant conversation.  Always great to discover another believer and get a chance to encourage her. 

Then as I was hurrying out the door pushing the cart with our food supply, I noticed a little old lady sitting by the door on that bench they have for little old ladies (and gents) who can’t handle all the walking involved in a trip to the store these days.  I smiled at her.  Her eyebrows rose just a bit, and the corners of her mouth slowly formed just the hint of a smile.  Then she said, “Praise Jesus.  Praise the Lord.  Jesus is Lord.”  Stunning.  I looked down at my t-shirt to see if I was displaying any indication of my Jesus-ness.  I glanced backward and quickly ascertained that we werehalf a store away from where I had checked out.  All the while my own smile grew just a bit wider, and I responded, “I know that’s right.  It really is.”  Sounded kind of familiar as I replayed in my head my previous conversation.  There it is.  Be an encourager and it will come back to you.  I’m not totally convinced that she was an angel in disguise, but her message of encouragement sure did come from God. 

Psalms 61:1-3 says, “Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.  From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.”

Father, help me keep my eyes open for those “chance” WalMart encounters.  Amen.

No comments: