Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January 30 – “House guests”

We had guests for lunch the other day.  Cailyn was here.  So were two of her imaginary friends.  Now one of those has been here before.  That would be Salana.  This time, though, Salana brought her husband.  Never knew she was married.  It sure didn’t come up in conversation when she was here before.  Maybe it was a new development in her life.  I asked what the husband’s name was.  Apparently that was a touchy subject. 

Cailyn glanced over at the chairs they were sitting in and looked kind of embarrassed.  She finally covered with, “He’s just her husband.”  I wondered what the problem was, but didn’t have to be in the dark for very long.  Cailyn finally announced the deep, dark secret.  Leaning over in a conspiratorial whisper that we all could here, she declared, “They are zombies.” 

Ah.  Now we have had all sorts of folks at our table over the years, and I don’t think we could be described as prejudiced in any way.  But that was just a bit disconcerting, I must admit.  And I must say that was the first time we have ever knowingly played host to a zombie couple.  That explained why they never touched their food, but their behavior was surprisingly under control for the undead.  They were remarkably quiet.  Very little groaning and moaning.  And they never tried to eat us.  We were grateful for that.  Wonder if we’ll be seeing more of them any time soon.

Psalms 63:1 says, “O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.”

Father, you are like a refreshing cup of cold water.  Help me to be satisfied with the pure stuff and not try to add my own koolaide.  Amen.

No comments: