Sunday, January 13, 2013

January 13 – “Mark 9:29”


Well, it’s 5:30 in the morning and I’m doing a little pining for the “good old days.”  Haven’t been asleep much, so I decided to go ahead and get up and start the day.  On the plus side, Mom actually seems to be asleep now.  So does Chris.  Not much sleep going on with them, that’s for sure. 

Been reading through a series of emails I got yesterday.  Seems that some feel strongly that Seaside is on the brink of extinction financially, so we need to develop an exit strategy in case we need to close the doors.  That would be in essence closing the doors on my life, on the place I have invested not just my time and energy, but who I am.  I know my salary is the biggest expense the church has right now.  Can’t afford to retire, though.  I guess I need to start looking for a place to work here in Galveston.  Maybe I can go part time and work somewhere else, too.  Can’t realistically leave here as long as Mom is with us.  That would really mess up her routine.  Maybe some big church would be interested in taking Seaside on and funding us as a mission ministry.  It’s a pretty good one.  Sunday services for locals and Island visitors.  Meeting place for community groups like AA.  Amazing retreat center facilities for hosting mission groups, church group retreats, and camps.    Not to mention the 25 acres of undeveloped land we still own.  Oh, I guess we could sell that.  Or better yet, the people of God could rise up here and recommit themselves to serving God and sacrificing for him.  I long for the days when people were actually excited about getting involved in activities at church, or creating new ministries to be involved in.  Galveston is a tough, tough place to be, spiritually.  The demon of despair has had his clutches on this place for as long as I can remember – clear back to when I was in high school - and I’m sure beyond.  Makes me think of Jesus’ read on why his disciples weren’t able to cast out a demon one time.  In Mark 9:29 Jesus says, “This kind can come out only by prayer.”  Indeed.  Meanwhile I need to plug back into my stubborn spirit of optimism.  I have a class to teach on the history of the church.  And a sermon to communicate on “Getting to work.”  And a wife to encourage.  And a Mom to care for.  And grandkids to play with.

Father, once again I commit Seaside to you.  I give you everything I have to do with the Body of Christ there, as well as with the physical facilities.  Do you want to keep using us?  Do you still have a purpose for those buildings?  Please do some inspiring.  And please send us some of your forces to help in this spiritual battle with despair.  He’s a strong one here in Galveston.  But you are ever so much stronger.  Amen.

No comments: