Saturday, December 1, 2012

December 1 – “The hero vs. the Mysteriously employed ninja-esque one”

Not much rest for the weary around here last night.  Mom decided she had to read the Target sales circular again just as we were heading to bed.  It took until after one to finally get her settled.  Yawn.

I did have a surprise when I opened the newspaper this morning.  An article I wrote about our Bethlehem Street Market and Craft Fair was printed today, along with a rather frightening head shot of me.  If nothing else I hope it helps spread the word about the event.  Or maybe we can use it to scare away some mice.

I remembered another anecdote from our family Thanksgiving experience.  My younger brother’s wife and daughter stopped by to say hello one of the days Josh and his family were here.  The daughter, Amy, is a mere wisp of a thing to look at, but underneath the fragile-looking exterior looms a hidden explosion of talent and training.  She works for, well, someplace mysterious that she is not at liberty to name and is a black belt of some outrageous degree in tae kwan do (if that’s how you spell it).  Josh is several years her elder, and he has trouble getting past his memories of the early years.  In fact when he thinks of Amy, he can only come up with one image in his head. 

One time when they were both much younger we were all at Uncle Jerry’s house fishing and having a good time.  The little ones had been warned numerous times about getting too close to the water and other typical live-near-the-water rules and regulations.  One of the allures at the canal-front house was always the big, box-shaped crab trap.  It offered all the mystery and anticipation that a child can hope for.  And all with only one real warning attached.  The warning actually sounded kind of silly at the time: Remember to let go of the crab trap when you throw it back into the water.  Well, that day Amy was excited.  She was going to toss the trap back into the water all by herself.  Come on, now.  What child isn’t excited at such prospects?  So much is involved.  Trust of the adults.  Showing off skill and musculature.  Not to mention the inevitable thrill of capturing those sea creatures and adding their succulent neat to a fine gumbo.  And so she tossed … and forgot to let go.  The trap reached its apex and began its descent into the watery depths … with Amy still attached.  Now Josh happened to be the one standing right next to the horrifying sight.  And to his everlasting credit, he managed to keep his cool.  So much so in fact that he didn’t even bother to put down his fishing pole.  Instead he merely reached down with one hand and swooped Amy up from the sea and placed her back on dry land.  A hero, to be sure.  Of course,  the water was only a few feet deep where she landed, but the fear was real, and the heroic response just as memorable. 

And so with that memory still fresh in his mind after twenty-plus years, Josh harrumphed a casual challenge toward Amy.  Mysterious place of employment that she is not at liberty to name, huh?  She’ll have to take me down to the ground before I’d respect her in that role.  After all, I saved her life.”  To that young Amy, young wisp-of-a-thing Amy, quite simply and oh-so matter-of-factly replied, “I can do that.”  A brief hush fell over the crowd as the reality sunk in that indeed she could do that.  Finally Kel broke the silence as he fumbled through his pockets.  “Hold on.  I want to see that.  In fact, let me get my phone out and I’ll record it.” 

Sadly for the spectators, though, there was no ensuing battle royale.  Happily for Josh, Amy bowed to the non-violent teachings of her sensei, which no doubt went something like: “It’s enough to know you can beat him to within an inch of his life.  You don’t have to prove it.”  How do I know what her teacher would have said?  I guess I don’t really.  See, her teacher is my little brother.  I’m just hoping that’s what he would say concerning any potential scuffle with me. 

Psalms 42:2 says, “My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When can I go and meet with God?”

Father, give me that that kind of thirst for you.  Amen.

No comments: