Monday, December 17, 2012

December 17 – “Joy Day”


I really like Advent.  Great season for anticipation, which is my favorite word for Christmas.  This past Sunday the seasonal emphasis for the day was Joy.  Again, how can you beat a whole day that is dedicated to being joyful?  We started out the service by defining the word.  One of our college girls who was home for the holidays helped me out on that one.  We were discussing what the best way to explain the concept would be to a three year old.  I have a lot in common with three year olds.  We like to see things rather than just talk about them.  So I wanted to demonstrate the Hebrew word for joy.  Lora and I gave our best demonstration of leaping and twirling.  Actually she did much better than I did, since I was hampered by that nagging knee injury.  I have to say, though, that we were both put to shame in the category of frolicking by the little baby goats in the video we saw.  Very cute.  If you want to check it out, see: http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/b4_EdJ-XkUA?rel=0

Another example of joy was in the clip from the movie Elf.  The store manager tells Buddy that Santa will be there the next morning, and Buddy is absolutely overwhelmed with excitement.  He shouts.  He tells everyone.  He stays up all night and decorates the department so that it will be just right when Santa gets there.  He even confronts the guy they hired to play Santa because he is an imposter and not the real thing.  There’s a lot of application to the way Christians are supposed to be living in there as we anticipate Jesus to coming back. 

We have been memorizing one particular Bible verse together for the season.  Romans 15:13.  Great one, because it mentions the emphasis for three of the weeks of Advent.  The first week we read it out loud together.  Last week we did a visual verse.  This week we sang it.  Jimmy, our worship leader, managed to somehow make the verse fit into the tune of Jingle Bells.  He did a much better job than I did, too.  It was a lot of fun.  We’ll have to try that again sometime.  Now I have to come up with a different way to learn it for next Sunday.  Any ideas?

My favorite part of the day came during the last song, a very upbeat version of The Lord’s right Hand.  While we sang everyone blew bubbles.  That’s right.  One of our youth guys gave everyone a bottle of bubble juice, and we all blew bubbles and sang.  How’s that for getting down to childlikeness?  Great fun.  Like I said, I have lots in common with three year olds. 

So next Sunday’s emphasis is love.  Guess I’ll have to start ruminating on that one.  Creative ways to express God’s love.  Hmm …

Romans 15:13 says, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

Father, thank you for the whole idea of Joy.  Makes for a much more pleasant approach to life.  Amen.

No comments: