Tuesday, December 11, 2012

December 11 – “In the Texas-al Spotlight”


I had an interesting phone call from Joshua yesterday.  Now, I don’t do well on the phone any more, primarily because I just can’t hear all that well.  As a result there are times when I have to ask for repetition or clarification.  I was convinced my ears were losing even more capacity after I said “Hello” in this call.  After hearing Josh repeat it at least three times, I finally made out what he was asking.  The question was so random, so unexpected, that I just wasn’t able to place it into any context of experience that seemed reasonable.  When I finally threw all that out the window and stopped trying to make the statement “fit” into a box, I got it.  Not that I understood it right away, but I heard it. 

Josh was asking, “Have you found MeeMaw yet?”  Strange, right?  I answered something along the lines of, “As far as I know she’s in the other room, but I can sure go check.  Maybe you know something I don’t.”  He was chuckling the whole time, so I knew he knew something.  Finally, he could hold back no longer.  Seems he had seen something on several of those Texdot signboards that are all over the freeways.  You know, the ones that flash different messages about wrecks and road construction.  He passed several on his way to work, and they were all flashing whatever it is they flash that would be the senior adult version of an Amber Alert.  An elderly adult had gone missing in, of all places, Galveston.  And the signs in San Antonio had picked up the call.  He naturally assumed that MeeMaw was on her way to visit them and maybe made a wrong turn.  I made a quick sweep of the house to make sure – to lay my own eyes on her – and assured him that she was safe and sound in her usual spot on the couch.  So much for the national (or at least Texas-al) spotlight on the Vaughan Family.

Psalms 46:7 says, “The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.”

Father, please give Mom some relief from her cough and her restlessness at night.  Amen.

No comments: