Sunday, December 23, 2012

December 23 – “Emu Man”


We attended the revival of a family tradition last night.  It’s been a while, but my side of the family decided to get together at my brother’s house on Tiki Island.  We used to do it every year back when I was growing up.  Between my Mom and my aunts, someone hosted every year.  But as the cousins began to grow and have children of their own, the family party became less and less of a priority.  I guess now that the cousins’ kids are getting grown, us oldies are up to reminiscing again, so the party is back.  We used to draw names at the party to determine that one person we had to get a gift for the next year.  At some point we switched to a simple Christmas ornament exchange.  I don’t think it was the only precipitating factor for the change (I’m pretty sure there was some economic consideration as well), but one year one of the cousins got a doll for the name he drew, another cousin.  After all, she was a girl.  What girl wouldn’t want a doll?  You guessed it.  She was not at all happy with her gift.  But hey, that particular cousin is now an FBI analyst.  As a kid she probably would have preferred a BB gun (as in “you could shoot your eye out with that thing”), or maybe a slick pair of sunglasses to help conceal her identity. 

The party went well.  We picked up my uncle (the one who has been in the hospital several times lately) and gave him a ride.  His son drove in from Florida and didn’t arrive until around 8 p.m.   Nathan met us on Tiki Island and helped us get Mom up the stairs.  She did really well with about half the climb, but she was surrounded by assistance and managed to complete the journey.  My one remaining aunt was there as well, so that generation proudly presided over the festivities, each representing one wing of our family tree.  Things weren’t nearly as rowdy as they have been in the past.  Cailyn was the only child there.  The next youngest was a girl who I think just graduated from high school.  Not that Cailyn minded all that attention.  She even ended with an extra ornament. 

Speaking of gifts, we were gifted by my brothers and their wives (is that the right usage there?  They each have only one wife as far as I know).  It was some really nice stuff, too.  My favorites among everything?  How can I not mention the Superman underwear?  Even tried them on for some photos.  And I’m pretty proud of the emu feather, too.  Maybe I can put on the underwear, put the feather behind my ear, and become a whole new superhero … Emu Man.  Now that has some possibilities.

Galatians 6:10 says, “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”

Father, thank you for the delight I saw in the face of my uncle as he basked in the attention of our family last night.  Amen.

No comments: