Sunday, December 30, 2012

December 30 – “Sleepover”

We did have a cousins’ sleepover while Josh and his family were here.  It was kind of overshadowed by the gift giving and receiving.  I suppose it kicked in when all the parents disappeared around 6:30 or 7.  Sleeping bags were already arranged carefully on the floor near the Christmas tree.  There was still a lot of serious playing going on, but the highlight of the even seemed to calm things down some.  Movie time with popcorn and goldfish (the snack food, not the small, orange-y creatures that swim).  The Polar Express was Nani’s choice this time.  Very Christmas-y.  Also considerably Tim Hanks-y.  That was followed by an encore screening of Despicable Me.  And with the second movie came the announcement from Nani, “It’s time for everyone to stay in his sleeping bag.”  That effort began around 8:30 or so.  The older guys did fine.  Josiah and Cailyn, not so much.  They were both so tired that they were trying anything and everything to stay awake.  It wouldn’t do for them to miss out on anything the older ones did by falling asleep, right? 

Kel and Christina made a return stop and Josiah left with them for the evening.  I think Caleb made his way back to the bedroom where his Mom and Dad were sleeping.  Zakary ended up on the big couch (way more comfortable than the floor).  Cailyn turned up in our bed with Chris and I grabbed what sleep I could crammed into the love seat with my feet hanging out one side.  That was by my choice, though.  I was having some allergy-related breathing issues.  Needless to say, we all made it through the night. 

Zak and Micah and Jachin were fine the next morning, up early and climbing into my office chair with me, “Helping DadDad with his work” (And just so I don’t get into trouble with Chris for working on a day I was supposed to be resting, they were giving me some assistance on the journal article for the day).  Cailyn heard the ruckus and emerged from the bedroom, eager to enter the fray.  She wasn’t quite ready for action, though, so she crashed on the little couch (the one I ended up sleeping on with my feet hanging over).  When Caleb entered the room, he surveyed the situation, taking it all in.  Finally his eyes lit on Cailyn, peacefully lounging in the midst of the tangled sleeping bags and toys strewn about.  He gently stroked the edge of the furniture and. In his best grown-up voice ever, he declared, “Aw, look.  Cailyn slept on the couch all night long.  That’s adorable.”

Deuteronomy 32:3-4 says, “I will proclaim the name of the Lord.  Oh, praise the greatness of our God!  He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.  A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.”

Father, help me live so you can come upon me and say, “that’s adorable.”  Amen.

No comments: