Thursday, December 27, 2012

December 27 – “Christmas Cousin Conclave”


The temperature was thirty-two point five degrees when I woke up yesterday.  That equals considerably cold for the tropical island paradise.  I went outside and did a quick survey of the Christmas lights in the front yard.  Sure enough, the strong winds had done a number on them.  Too cold to worry about rehanging them right then, though.  I decided to wait until it warmed up to thirty-five or so.  Yeah.  Much warmer.  I did take time to cover the water faucets with those tricky caps they make out of foam and a big rubber band.  Sure saves time.  Sadly, the faucet in the back yard just sticks up out of the ground, so I still had to do the old fashioned newspaper and duct tape approach.  Oh, and it was garbage day as well, so I had to get the can out to the street.  Whew.  That’s about as much cold as this old BOI Galvestonian can stand in one day.  How did I ever last those years in Colorado?

Josh and family got here from San Antonio.  They had just enough time to recuperate from the trip and settle in before Kel and his family got here.  And so began the Christmas Cousin Conclave of 2012.  At least the male end of it.  Cailyn won’t get here until this morning when we open gifts.  That’s right.  It took Santa a few extra days to swim across the bay and get to our house on the island.  But he did make it, and the natives are already restless.

Last night I dared to enter the fray a time or two to get in some goofy DadDad time.  One time after he made a trip to the bathroom Josiah returned with just his undershirt on.  That’s all.  Just his undershirt.  Took a while, but he was finally convinced to at least put his underpants on.  How, you may ask, was he convinced?  It had something to do with completing his ensemble.  See, his t shirt and the missing underpants were part of a uniform … Batman underoos.  Quite impressive.  So impressive in fact that I was inspired.  I had to pull out my Superman cape.  And t shirt.  And my new Superman underwear.  I put them all on to complete an ensemble of my own, over my clothes of course.  And the ensuing struggle between good and evil - super hero vs super hero vs super villains – lasted until the ultimate super hero, Nani, stepped in to save the aging wearer of blue, red, and gold from a fate worse than kryptonite.  Sadly, she moved just a tad too late.  Oh, the forces of evil will never know the extent of the damage, for the purveyor of truth, justice and the American way will never reveal his injuries.  But suffice it to say, he was … pleased at the intervention.  It’s great to have my very own Lois Lane/Nani/Chris to watch over me.  Now perhaps I will have enough energy to survive the Cousins’ Sleepover scheduled for tonight.

Psalms 50:1 says, “The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to the place where it sets.”

Father, good morning.  Amen.

No comments: